Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
2011/09/11 20:38:56 (permalink)

Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds

Just returned from my final big trip of the year this past Thursday evening.

Perhaps you might be able to tell where I've been from the title.

This will be broken out one segments per day for a total of 8 segments.

Thursday September 1

Flying out of TF Green in Rhode Island, I arrived in Pittsburgh later on that morning. I didn't stay in Pittsburgh though, I got my rental car and drove to in a Northwesterly direction. 

My first stop in the South Suburbs of Cleveland

Babushka's Kitchen 
in Northfield OH

Off the bat I knew this place was promising when I saw they won the Pierogi cook off..

After salivating over photos on the Roadfood review, I already knew what I wanted

The Warsaw- Roast Pork and gravy with sauerkraut and onions sandwiched between two potato pancakes with a scoop of sour cream on top. What I didn't know is that tiny dumplings were also included with this sandwich and what a sandwich it was! One choice of side is included, that's stuffed cabbage soup in the background, loaded with zesty cabbage, rice and meat more of a hearty stew than soup.  

Here's a better view of the soup.

You know you're starting a good road trip when your first meal is a home run.

After my stellar meal, I was compelled to come here

You got it- the Polka Hall of Fame, in Euclid OH....

It was a very interesting and informative museum

I always thought the Polka was of Polish derivation

any relation to "Weird Al"?

I had no idea that the Polka had it's golden years?

Or that there was a "Cleveland Style"?

I guess this is how they did it in the "old country"

I guess one of the prerequisites for Polka is that you have to grow an unusually large and thick mustache.

Of course you can't polka without an accordian!

It is a real shame that I'll be missing out on the Sausage Fest....but if you're in the area........

My next stop was downtown Cleveland.  After checking into my hotel, and walking through downtown towards the lake  I realized that Cleveland finally got it's  stamp of approval

With a sigh of relief I headed over to the The William Mather Steamship Museum

Docked in Lake Erie, this steam ship which was built in the 1920's was one the flagship freighters on the Great Lakes.  It was also one of the first to have radar...

Here are some select photos

Of course there is the engine room

Radar Equipment

While I was on the boat, I enjoyed great views of

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum by I.M. Pei

Cleveland Browns Stadium

and

The Great Lakes Science Center

After spending most of the afternoon on the boat, dinner time was fast approaching..

I had concerns about my dinner stop..

When rumours were floating around the internet that Freddie's Rib House was closed , I called them to double check and their phone was disconnected..

Visiting confirmed my worst fears

But never fear!

Freddie's Rib House 

Has a spiffy new location in suburban Lyndhurst (the one downtown closed  due to a fire)

Of course I came here for one reason

The Polish Boy...

Kielbasa in a sturday bun slathered in BBQ Sauce, topped with creamy slaw and fresh cut fries...
What surprised me was the size of the Kielbasa- I didn't realize it would be so thick, either way, the charred sausage snapped with each bite and retained it's juicyness...

What  a mess! It didn't take long for the roll to disintegrate....it was good, but a little overwhelming...

After dinner, I realized I was close to my favorite custard stand in the Cleveland area.

East Coast Original Frozen Custard

a small mini chain in the Cleveland metro area

The flavor of the day was 

Raspberry....

It was good, but my favorite still was Apple Cobbler I enjoyed on my last visit 3 years ago...

Heading back to my hotel downtown, I thought about heading to the Great Lakes Brew Pub in Ohio City but didn't feel like driving, I walked a few blocks over to this Irish Pub and they had Great Lakes on tap there....
After one or two, I headed back to my hotel and called it a night...

Much more to come..

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/09/22 18:50:12

119 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1