Greaseless Taco's

Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 724
2011/09/12 20:27:25 (permalink)

Greaseless Taco's

In the old days, way back in my youth, I cooked tacos that were not fat free, and neither were the tortillas...

While I did drain the oils off the taco pan, there was still some there...

And (IMHO) the tastiest taco shells are corn tortillas fried someplace between soft and crispy, they still had oils...

Oils IS an essential for me, in terms of transfering FLAVOR(s)...

And a good HOT oil is perfect for frying tasty tortillas...I fry them so the taco shell is firm but still able to be opened up without cracking...and I did it this way for years and still crave that taste...

But then by accident I learned another way about 4 decades ago...dry heating the tortillas...a friend cooks on a wood stove in the deep boonies where I live, and I noticed a shiney bare spot on the iron patina of the flat top cooking surface...it turns out after YEARS of dry heating the tortillas the patina slowly changed to a bright polished iron, and because very few OLD (as in 100 years old) wood cookstoves are completely airtight, small wisps of smoke would seep out and add flavor to the fresh tortillas...what a treat...smokey tacos at the Laskey Ranch 3,000 feet above Calistoga & the Napa Valley (life is so damn good) !!!

So I changed the way I cooked the tortillas into taco shells...I have a cast iron skillet that is always kept dry (no oils whatsoever) and reserved exclusively for tortillas, and I heat, flip, fold, and heat each side after folding, and done...

So far, so good...

As to making the meat itself, it took a bit of experimenting...but the basics are I way over season the meat while cooking (usually 80/20 hamburger, but not always), then add water to the pan to lift the grease / oils, and then dump everything through a strainer or collander...the grease / oils go with the water, and I'm left with flavorful greaseless tacos...

The oils have been removed from both the meat and the tortillas...

Sorta "heart healthy" ... although I have no idea what the fat numbers actually are, the water that is poured out goes into a saucepan and it's gratifying to look and see what fats are not going into my body when the water & oil/grease cools and separates...

And finally (some might think this is strange) I like to pour some bbq sauce on my taco's...

Lastly, I'd never insult a perfectly good campesino style taco with sour cream...(that's a gringo thing)...

Let me know IF you try this and what variations you might have...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/09/12 20:31:43

16 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1