The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Autumnal equinox

Sundancer7

Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 8:51 AM (permalink)
I certainly look forward to the changes of all seasons and the upcoming one next Friday is certainly no exception.  After a very hot summer, I cannot wait to enjoy the fruits of fall.  I sorta guess that all over the USA folks are looking forward to anything apple.  They are beginning to become more available in Knoxville but they are pricey.

I was at my closest grocer the other day and I was greeted as I went through the door with the olfactory attack of cinnamon.  That immediately reminded me for the smells of fall.  Mamaw Smiths pumpkin, apple pie.  Persimmon pudding, cushaw pie and other goodies.

Folks around the USA have a wider variety than what we experience in East TN and I was sorta wondering what is the favorite around your part of the country.

I am looking forward to some fall drives and to be one of the leaf peepers.  Tennessee is beautiful but the fall colors are not as majestic and colorful as the maples of the north.  Perhaps I can drive your way to sample your fall foods and fall colors.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 10:12 AM (permalink)
    Paul last night we had some rain...but for the first time this 'season' , it was a cold, blustery rainstorm, nothing like the summer thunderstorms or showers. Today the high temp will be 65, down 20 degrees from yesterday.

Yep the season change is fast-approaching.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
      Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 10:26 AM (permalink)
      I swear when I see the first snowflake this year I'm going to go outside naked and dance.  This was the worst summer of my life and the heat didn't make it any easier.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
        Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 10:51 AM (permalink)
        In the front yard or the back yard?

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
          Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 10:57 AM (permalink)
          We have defintely turned a corner in Wisconsin.It was 41 degrees the other night, and we actually considered turning the heat on.The farmers market's fare has changed-small pumpkins, small gourds, the last of the tomatoes. No color change in the leaves here yet, but some are falling. Its about 67 degrees during the day, which is lovely.The cool weather has put me in a cooking mood-soups, pot roast,roast chicken, etc...I love it!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
            Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 11:45 AM (permalink)
            We have some leaf changing and last night it was 40 with a high today being 58. I did see the long range is putting us back in the 80's next week. Ugh. I love fall and the cool temperatures!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
              Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 1:26 PM (permalink)
              It cooled off here in the Twin Cities today. Right now it is 53F. Leaves are already starting to change. The apple crop this year has been outstanding and the fall colors are predicted to be great this year. Alas, we'll miss most of it as we are heading south for Texas Sunday, then New Orleans and the Gulf Coast of Florida before heading back at the end of October. By then we will have spent well over 100 days on the road and covered some 20,000+ miles in our camper van from Manitoba, Canada to California to Florida to Maryland as the far reaches.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
                Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 1:30 PM (permalink)
                We have large apple orchards all over the place, one stretch of highway has several on it, and I like to stop for an apple fritter and some cider at any one of them. One has a small winery with some really good hard cider (more like sparkling apple wine). Definitely my most favorite time of the year.
                Today was the first day I needed a jacket since spring, and conveniently left it home. Currently a damp, windy 55 in Syracuse. Love it.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 1:51 PM (permalink)
                  High of about 70 here today, we had a massive T-storm blow through about 6pm last night. In came the cool weather.

My favorite eating apple is a Fuji.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Autumnal equinox Thu, 09/15/11 8:21 PM (permalink)
                    Seamus
                    There used to be several 'U-Pick' berry farms and Apple Orchards along the north shore of Onieda Lake.  My favorite apples were the 'hard-as-rock' Northern Spies !!!! Lord they were wonderful eating apples, but always very late in the season.
                      I agree that those short FALL seasons were a wonderful time to be in Central New York , but I get the shakes just thinking about my evening commutes from Camden to Oswego State two nights a week  during the winter. I had never experienced anything like the winters I endured back in the early 70's in Oneida County. I would never be able to live thru one of those winters again.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                      Re:Autumnal equinox Fri, 09/16/11 4:11 AM (permalink)
                      Realizing that everything is relative to what you're used to, you've not been hot until you spend a summer in AZ. We just had our first sub-100 day this week! August was the hottest Aug. on Record - going back over100 years. The temp of the water in my swimming pool reached 95 degrees this year.  Today it's 89 degrees! Will be in the pool until mid to late October!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                        Re:Autumnal equinox Fri, 09/16/11 9:33 AM (permalink)
                        Here is an article on apples from the University of Minnesota Horticultural Research Center at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. This article showed up in the Minneapolis Star Tribune this week and is one of the best I've read about how apples are developed there.

Picky Apple Picking

Read the article. You may be surprised at how many popular apples have come from this orchard just south of our house including the Honeycrisp. Our property used to be part of the precursor of the Horticultural Research Center which was known as the State Fruit Farm where the Wealthy apple was developed, the first northern climate apple.

Since we are heading out, we peeled and sliced a peck of Sweetango and Zestar apples this week and air-dried them for snacks. We may miss out on the Honeycrisp as they haven't arrived yet. So, on our way south, we are going to first stop in La Crosse, WI to visit our son and go apple picking back across the Mississippi River in Le Crescent, MN with our grandsons. They have an Applefest this weekend.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
                          Re:Autumnal equinox Fri, 09/16/11 11:32 AM (permalink)
                          Who cares?  I just want to see winter.  Too many years spent in Alaska I guess.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
                            Re:Autumnal equinox Fri, 09/16/11 11:44 AM (permalink)
                            mayor al

Seamus
                            There used to be several 'U-Pick' berry farms and Apple Orchards along the north shore of Onieda Lake.  My favorite apples were the 'hard-as-rock' Northern Spies !!!! Lord they were wonderful eating apples, but always very late in the season.
                            I agree that those short FALL seasons were a wonderful time to be in Central New York , but I get the shakes just thinking about my evening commutes from Camden to Oswego State two nights a week  during the winter. I had never experienced anything like the winters I endured back in the early 70's in Oneida County. I would never be able to live thru one of those winters again.

I've never been up that way to pick, I usually drive along route 20 between Lafayette and Skaneateles (I live in Southwood, near Jamesville, south end of the city), usually while on my way to mom's for Sunday dinner in Auburn.
                            I don't blame you for getting the shakes, Camden to Oswego is right in the lake effect snow band, it's ridiculous. We get a lot of snow in the city, but the amount that comes down up there is just insane. It's not just a pain, it's downright dangerous.
                            Already starting to see a few leaves turning outside my office window, so won't be long now til we're in the full swing of autumn.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com