The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tipping At Buffets and Special Preparation

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
Tipping At Buffets and Special Preparation Fri, 09/16/11 11:55 PM (permalink)
General question and I'll be brief and to the point.
At Buffet restaurants where you pretty much do your own serving and the waitstaff's task is simply to validate your receipt and refill your drinks in some cases worth the standard 15-20%. In most cases, the dishes are bussed after you leave and for the most part the server does little more then greet you. Under our state laws, these servers are allowed to be paid below minimum wage, so tips certainly are part of their wages.

Let's take this one step further.
Many buffets have line workers cooking items to order such as Sushi or cooks preparing items in a wok or custom to your request. These are server employees. Should they deserve additional compensation in the form of solicted tips each time you you request an item? The tacit expectation if you don't throw a generous tip, you receive a minimized amount vs those that throw a tip to the tray or kitty.

If I pay for a buffet and tip the server beyond the reasonable expectations of minimal service, should I also be required to tip line workers to receive a reasonable portion?

Try applying this concept to a cafeteria where the guy slicing the turkey or roast beef has a tray full of dollars and the portion you receive is predicated on how much you throw into the the tray.

I'm just wondering what you folks think.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
    Re:Tipping At Buffets and Special Preparation Sat, 09/17/11 3:44 AM (permalink)
    I usually don't tip at buffets and cafeterias unless I get exceptional service. I've noticed other people tipping.
    There was one old lady who had to be older than my grandmother's grandmother. Could hardly move. I tipped her $20 for a $7 buffet meal. Felt sorry for her.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
      Re:Tipping At Buffets and Special Preparation Sat, 09/17/11 8:20 AM (permalink)
      I usually leave a dollar or 3 at buffets for the waitress.   They don't provide FULL service, so I don't tip for FULL service.

Next as for tipping line servers on the buffet, why?   Do you leave enough tip at regular restaurants for the waitress to share with the back of the house?  I've heard of a few restaurants that required all tip to be shared with the busboys & kitchen staff.  I don't agree with that.  Tips are for the wait person and his service if excellent & helpful.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
        Re:Tipping At Buffets and Special Preparation Sat, 09/17/11 8:30 AM (permalink)
        DawnT
        Try applying this concept to a cafeteria where the guy slicing the turkey or roast beef has a tray full of dollars and the portion you receive is predicated on how much you throw into the the tray.

I'm just wondering what you folks think.

This guy would be fired, if working for me.    The portion size served is set.   To get paid for over-size portions is stealing and a food loss for the restaurant & owner; or cheating the customer with an under-size portion just because there was no tip.     Would you employ a Cook or waitress that pocketed the meal check and ring up the meal as 'no sale' or 'comp'?   Of course not.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
          Re:Tipping At Buffets and Special Preparation Sat, 09/17/11 10:43 AM (permalink)
          I know this a thorn to many people. Like Dawn said in Fla they pay below min. wage. I worked at two different Golden Corrals down there. If you ask servers will bring go get and bring you more food. As a cook I did receive tips on ocassion when I worked the omelet station. But they were not expected.  

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
            Re:Tipping At Buffets and Special Preparation Sun, 09/18/11 5:14 PM (permalink)
            In many buffet restaurants, the tip is shared. My wife and I feel that the continual busing of tables is a LOT more work than just bringing the order. We always tip 15-20%. If there is a sushi bar, we also give the sushi chef a buck each.

As far as tipping the counterman to get an extra portion, that's a tradition at Katz's Delicatessen in New York City.

Bart

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com