Pusties & Pies A-Plenty in Rome/Utica, NY

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2442
2011/09/26 19:09:40 (permalink)

Pusties & Pies A-Plenty in Rome/Utica, NY

Friday Sept. 16th - Time once again for a trip to my hometown of Rome, NY to run the annual Delta Lake Half Marathon. Naturally, I had some RF goals in mind before I even bought my train ticket.  The plan was to go on a tomato pie/bbq ham sandwich quest to as many place as possible in 4 days along with trying out some other regional specialties.  It didn't work out quite as planned but I ended up being pretty happy with the results.  As soon as I arrived in Rome my uncle picked me up at the station and then I relaxed at my mom's house for a bit.  When her husband came home, we went out to dinner at our old standby, Teddy's Restaurant.  I love the likeness of TR as their logo.

Located in a fairly nondescript strip mall Teddy's had been serving up some tasty food for almost 20 years.

The two main themes at Teddy's are teddy bears...

and Teddy Roosevelt.

Mom and I split an order of Italian Style Greens, a local favorite (aka Utica Style Greens), Teddy's sautes escarole with garlic and olive oil as do many other restaurants but they also add capicola, bread crumbs, romano cheese and hot peppers.  I passed on the peppers as I didn't want anything too spicy within a couple of days of the race.  These were really good.  The earthy flavor of the greens was present, they had a slight crunch and the other ingredients rounded it out nicely.  

I opted for a Chicken Parmesan sandwich with french fries.  The fries were not fresh cut but good nonetheless.  The sandwich was great as I've always had a great experience with their parmesan.  The chicken is crispy underneath all that sauce and the browned mozzarella.  

WWbbD?  WWbbD?  I do love Coconut Cream pie and their pies ARE homemade, but...

I don't find Toll House Pie on the menu in very many places so I had to get it.  As a nice bonus, the waitress asked if I wanted it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  Uh, YES!!  Just like a Toll House chocolate chip cookie (with nuts) in convenient pie form.  I think BB would approve.  A very rich end to a terrific meal.  

More to come...
post edited by billyboy - 2012/08/25 12:09:39

43 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1