The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Need Feedback about software

bmander

• Total Posts: 1
Need Feedback about software Wed, 10/19/11 5:19 PM (permalink)
I had an idea of software that I thought would help and wanted to get some feedback on it.

The idea is that customers could go online and order their food before they got to your restaurant.  Nothing would be cooked or anything.  When they ordered they would be given a confirmation code.  When being seated by the hostess they would give their confirmation code to them.  The waitress would then print the order off and go to the table and verify it and then put it in.  This would save the time that a waitress is at a table taking orders.  For busy restaurants it would also get customers in and our faster meaning you are able to serve more customers.  Please let me know what you think of this idea.  Thank you.

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
    Re:Need Feedback about software Wed, 10/19/11 5:28 PM (permalink)
    Sounds to me like you didn`t save anyone any time. The waitress has to verify it, he/she could of took the order in the same amount of time.

reese77

• Total Posts: 508
      Re:Need Feedback about software Wed, 10/19/11 6:09 PM (permalink)
      bmander

I had an idea of software that I thought would help and wanted to get some feedback on it.

The idea is that customers could go online and order their food before they got to your restaurant.  Nothing would be cooked or anything.  When they ordered they would be given a confirmation code.  When being seated by the hostess they would give their confirmation code to them.  The waitress would then print the order off and go to the table and verify it and then put it in.  This would save the time that a waitress is at a table taking orders.  For busy restaurants it would also get customers in and our faster meaning you are able to serve more customers.  Please let me know what you think of this idea.  Thank you.

This has been done but more of on the delivery side. Waiterontheway.biz, foodpeople.com, etc. I am a software developer by trade and I actually owned a business of this type, munchierush.com but I did not last long because my side of town is not close to college dorms, downtown areas, etc.
      I still have the software (written in PHP) and I was thinking of enhancing it and selling/leasing to business owners and maybe even franchising out my business model. However it is a pain to write and maintain full feature robust software on your own and I could never find a business partner that was a developer and an ambitious business person.

In regards to your specific idea, most restaurants now have simple online ordering and others just prefer people call in an order. Also, if you place an order, than go to the restaurant, than sit down and confirm your order, you wait time will likely be the same. You could just review the menu online, know what you want to order than go and order in person.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
        Re:Need Feedback about software Thu, 10/20/11 12:35 AM (permalink)
        Don't see any advantage to anyone. The whole Dining Experience is meant to be enjoyed. If I'm going out to a nice restaurant, I enjoy sitting down, having a cocktail, taking my time looking at the menu, interacting with the server and whomever I'm with and then ordering.
        The world is in too big of a rush today as it is.
        Screw Impersonal Technology, Enjoy Life!

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
          Re:Need Feedback about software Thu, 10/20/11 7:55 AM (permalink)
          There was somehting in my area like that a few years ago. I don't think its still around. Must be a reason.

SR-71

• Total Posts: 15
            Re:Need Feedback about software Sat, 10/22/11 5:04 PM (permalink)
            I think chain restaurants might be interested in your software (or least anyone with a decent online presence) especially for large groups. Reserve tables, order and pay, all online or from phones.

Imagine a group of 16 friends getting together for dinner. Using your software, they could individually visit the company's website ahead of time, check out the menu and get an idea of what they want to eat. They can order, and maybe even change their order depending on their mood... lets say a half hour before arrival time. Payment could all be individual (with the usual 18% gratuity or whatever which is usually automatic for large groups) or shared different ways.

Diners will like the social aspect of it. If they can easily invite friends from Facebook, Twitter, email, their cell phone, etc. A few clicks and they have set up a party.

The restaurant likes it because they know ahead of time that the group is coming, and what they will be ordering. It's easier on the servers. And it could probably save 15-30 minutes table time.

That would be my angle. Large groups. Figure out a catchy way to market to the diners. In other words, imagine it was your website like Yelp or Twitter or FourSquare that they had to be a part of. In reality they will be visiting the restaurant's website, but you want your service to be hip. You want people to think:

"ok so we're all getting together to celebrate the end of softball season... what restaurants around here use RestaurantCrasher? oh yeah, B. Mander's has it. that will make it so easy. I'll just go to their website and invite everyone..."

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Need Feedback about software Sat, 10/22/11 7:22 PM (permalink)
              SR-71
              I think chain restaurants might be interested in your software (or least anyone with a decent online presence) especially for large groups. Reserve tables, order and pay, all online or from phones.
              Imagine a group of 16 friends getting together for dinner. Using your software, they could individually visit the company's website ahead of time, check out the menu and get an idea of what they want to eat. They can order, and maybe even t

THIS IS SPAM. Total Post 1 , Same as the originator. SPAM

SR-71

• Total Posts: 15
                Re:Need Feedback about software Sat, 10/22/11 11:57 PM (permalink)
                hahaha! Funny how my opinion is spam just because I haven't posted here yet.

Note to self: never offer advice on a forum as your first post. Canned meat accusations will fly.
                Instead ask something normal like: "is it OK to boil ribs and then BBQ them in the oven?" :p

btw Dr. I like your new logos, and totally get why the hog is smoking a cigar. ;)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com