The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Food truck walls

dailygrinders

• Total Posts: 8
Food truck walls Wed, 10/26/11 10:58 PM (permalink)
Ok so im ready to put walls up, the wall behind the appliances are going to be some kind of metal. I have looked at the links some people suggested from here. If i go with aluminum (for cost and durability) does it matter if it is anodized ($69 per sheet) or not (45 per sheet)? Regular 22ga aluminum should be durable enough without oxidizing and rusting right? I wanted to get these ordered soon. There is also a local guy that quoted me $ 160 for 4'x8' sheets of stainless. Im stuck.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
    Re:Food truck walls Thu, 10/27/11 12:11 AM (permalink)
    Stainless

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
      Re:Food truck walls Thu, 10/27/11 4:39 AM (permalink)
      chefbuba

Stainless

HD won't challenge Stainless.
      They might challenge Aluminum.
      check with them before buying anything.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Food truck walls Thu, 10/27/11 9:39 AM (permalink)
        Sorry I'm not going to give you an answer but instead share some current and passed experiences.

My current trailer is all stainless steel walls and ceiling. But there are differant grades and finishes of stainless steel. Some have more steel in them than others and to prove that some will hold a magnet and others won't.Your household stainless dishwasher or refrigerator are cheap stainless steel. And yes I know they are expensive but I promise you they are thin, and low grade SS.

The walls in my trailer will attract a magnet, and require a two step process for proper cleaning.

Step one a good cleaning with the purple liquid I buy at Sam's club. The name of which escapes me at the moment.This process sucks the oil out of the stainless and always comes out streaked.

Step two a coat of polish from a company called Sprayaway. And finally a light buffing with a clean cloth.
        http://www.spraywayretail...3s_8iKwCFYwDQAodmWRw_w

When I first started on the SV I got a sample of  aluminum from a local guy that has a coating on it. Not sure what it's called but if you need to know I can find out. Anyway I took the sample and gave it a good coat of every cleaning agent I could find, and nothing seemed to cut through the coating on the surface, and that's a good thing.

But the coated aluminum doesn't have the mirror surface shine that I'd really like. I have used the aluminum on my ceiling and I'm not 100% impressed with it but I don't, not like it ether. So at this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the walls.

Any product you put on walls that is non pores and shinny will be loved by your HD. But you need to be able to keep it looking bright, shinny, and clean. And to what degree on the  bright, shinny, clean depends on your personal preference.I'm a clean freak (lol) you most likely are not.

I'm seriously looking at going to stainless steel on the walls but this time using the mirror finish that Backallyburger posted in another thread. I'd bet that it is a better grade of SS and may not require the extra steps in cleaning.

My plan is to get a sample and test it. I can throw a sample in my smoker for an hour or two and then go through the cleaning process to see how hard it is to clean.

By the way always remember you should never use anything that will scratch SS when your cleaning it. No SOS pads or green pads, scotch bright,  etc. You pretty much need to wash it and then re-oil it. stainless needs oil in the metal just as it comes from the factory.

Again sorry no big answer here but maybe someone else will post an answer and help us both make a decision on this subject.

PS I have a trailer with an aluminum diamond plate deck on it (Grill Zilla )  you can see it at the very bottom of my web page www.DrofBBQ.com and it is a bitch to keep clean. I have found a new product I bought from www.autogeek.com that helps a lot but, it still requires buffing.  I have an aluminum diamond plate floor in my SV and  I'm covering it with wood and installing a new floor. I woiuld never want to fight trying to clean an aluminum diamond plate floor in a kitchen. Others prefer that and I'm not saying they are wrong just not something I'd do.   
        <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Thu, 10/27/11 9:49 AM>

dailygrinders

• Total Posts: 8
          Re:Food truck walls Thu, 10/27/11 4:36 PM (permalink)
          Cool thanks everyone i have decided to go with stainless and have it on order. Not bad too $139 for a 4'x8' sheet cut how i need it. Now what to put up over my insulation? I found fire and flame resistant plywood, but it is 40$ a sheet. Or drywall, but super heavy. What have you guys used?

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
            Re:Food truck walls Thu, 10/27/11 8:19 PM (permalink)
            drywall was never meant to be used in a mobile environment...
            what gauge is the stainless ? if 18(probably not at 139 a sheet) i wouldnt worry about anything between it and the insulation, just use a good quality firePROOF fiberglass and be done with it.....
            you can make your own fire resistant plywood though, all the fireproofing is doing is filling the pores and coating the exterior to block oxygen....

they make a stiff fiber insulation (brown board) that is fire proof, it should give enough structural "uummpphhh" to the stainless to be a good choice, but the thinnest it comes in is 1/2 inch that i know of

how thick are your walls ? and is this just the cooking area or the whole interior ?

Morrisc06

• Total Posts: 2
              Re:Food truck walls Tue, 12/6/11 1:43 PM (permalink)
              What gauge stainless steel would be most adequate for interior wall panels?  Would quilted stainless or just flat sheet metal be preferable? I'm trying to build a food truck in my backyard and I'm new to all this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
                Re:Food truck walls Tue, 12/6/11 7:25 PM (permalink)
                Morrisc06

What gauge stainless steel would be most adequate for interior wall panels?  Would quilted stainless or just flat sheet metal be preferable? I'm trying to build a food truck in my backyard and I'm new to all this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

You might get more response if you start your own NEW thread instead of posting on a old thread

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Food truck walls Tue, 12/6/11 9:57 PM (permalink)
                  The information is here on RF already and contained in several threads. Do a search you'll find numerous opinions and pictures.
                  Good luck
                  Jack

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com