The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost?

Kabman

• Total Posts: 7
How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Mon, 11/7/11 11:31 PM (permalink)
Hi there. I'm planning to open a mid-size Kabob House focusing mainly on take-out, with a simple menu featuring lamb and chicken kabob as the main dishes. Any idea what the ballpark figure would be for the kitchen equipment?

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
    Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Mon, 11/7/11 11:44 PM (permalink)
    $10,000-$100,000

Kabman

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Mon, 11/7/11 11:48 PM (permalink)
      Thanks. That's quite a range there. Could you elaborate a little more if possible?....

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 12:31 AM (permalink)
        Any idea what the ballpark figure would be for the kitchen equipment?

The Chef is correct.
        Your question is like asking how much gas should I put in my car for a trip? Where are you going? How fast are you going to drive? What is your average MPG? Is it a round trip or one way?
        No one can answer your question.

Kabman

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 12:37 AM (permalink)
          Well I did mention that it's a medium sized take-out place with lamb and chicken kabob as the main entrees (rice too). If any other data would help narrow the range down I'd be happy to provide it.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 12:41 AM (permalink)
            That's not our job it's yours tell us the story with all the details. If your not that far ahead in your plan it's not fair to expect someone else to lay out your gig. GEEEEZ Guy.

Kabman

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 12:45 AM (permalink)
              Well what else do you want me to say?:) I mentioned the size, I mentioned the menu items, mentioned it'll be a take-out place....what else is relevant to the cost of the kitchen equipment?

chefbuba

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 1:33 AM (permalink)
                Stoves, ovens, grills, char broiler, deep fryer, steamer, walk in, reach in, slicer, freezer, exhaust hood, fire suppression, dish washer, sinks...as many as 7 or 8, prep tables, small wares, any specialty equipment you will need to cook your menu.
                Then you have to pay everyone that will have their hand out,
                health dept, fire dept, zoning, building dept, business license, insurance, workers comp, tax man.
                Then you will have the front of house, decorations, tables, chairs, flooring, paint, etc.
                Starting inventory, cash flow to pay employees and run the place for a year.
                How much experience do you have in food service?
                You need to do some research my friend.

Kabman

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 1:42 AM (permalink)
                  I do appreciate your patience in helping me out, but I wasn't asking about the overall expense of running the business. I'm only asking about the cost of the kitchen hardware.

I was told somewhere else it would be around 15000, but I wanted a second opinion and figured this is the best place. Chef's response was good, but I was hoping for something a little more elaborate. That's all. 

chefbuba

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 1:48 AM (permalink)
                    The first one was free, my consulting fee is $95 hr.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                      Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 3:03 AM (permalink)
                      We can't give you an answer. You need to get off your butt and do the hard legwork based on your floor plan, your business plan and your marketing plan. Do you have any experience in the Kabob Business? If so, you should know the equipment manufacturers. Call them.
                      Look at Franchising to get prices even if you're not interested
                      http://www.shishkabobexpress.com/franchise.aspx
                      http://www.bestofmediterranean.com/franchise_invest.php
                      http://www.mushtaqsfoodmachinery.com/sheesh-kebab-conveyor-grill.html
                      If I can look it up in a few minutes, so can you
                      <message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 11/8/11 3:11 AM>

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
                        Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 2:52 PM (permalink)
                        You need to know what equipment you need to make kabobs, store your materials, clean your wares and food, etc. Then talk to the new and used equipment dealers to get prices.
                        Small , Med, large is all relative - how many sq. ft. do you plan to occupy in the kitchen? How much food will you keep on hand?

Like these guys said - more info.

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
                          Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 4:01 PM (permalink)
                          Kabman

I do appreciate your patience in helping me out, but I wasn't asking about the overall expense of running the business. I'm only asking about the cost of the kitchen hardware.

I was told somewhere else it would be around 15000, but I wanted a second opinion and figured this is the best place. Chef's response was good, but I was hoping for something a little more elaborate. That's all. 

OK, heres a second opinion........$15K way too much.
                          E-Z Up Tent from Sams Club, $200.00
                          Skewers from Wal-Mart  100/97 cents
                          Bar-b-q grill, $100.00 to $500.00 from Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot
                          Chicken tenderloins, approx. $2.50 lb. About 40 pounds of chicken will use the 100 skewers purchased at Wal-Mart.
                          Couple of 2 foot by 4 foot tables from Sams, $100.00
                          Netting for EZ-Up tent $100.00
                          Tongs $5.00
                          Onions $4.00
                          Green and Red Bell Peppers $10.00
                          Sharp Knife  $10.00
                          Propane   $25.00
                          Hand and dish washing equipment   $17.98
                          Good Location, good luck.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                            Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 5:02 PM (permalink)
                            FriedTater

Kabman

OK, heres a second opinion........$15K way too much.
                            E-Z Up Tent from Sams Club, $200.00
                            Skewers from Wal-Mart  100/97 cents
                            Bar-b-q grill, $100.00 to $500.00 from Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot
                            Chicken tenderloins, approx. $2.50 lb. About 40 pounds of chicken will use the 100 skewers purchased at Wal-Mart.
                            Couple of 2 foot by 4 foot tables from Sams, $100.00
                            Netting for EZ-Up tent $100.00
                            Tongs $5.00
                            Onions $4.00
                            Green and Red Bell Peppers $10.00
                            Sharp Knife  $10.00
                            Propane   $25.00
                            Hand and dish washing equipment   $17.98
                            Good Location, good luck.

That's OK if he's going to outside events. He hasn't told us ANYTHING about where he plans to operate or any other specifics. Just Generalizations

Kabman

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Tue, 11/8/11 9:06 PM (permalink)
                              Thanks to everyone, especially FriedTater. Just to add a little more, this will store will be slightly smaller than an average StarBuck's and the kitchen will take up about 1/3 of the total area. It will be located in the suburbs of North Jersey although the exact town is not decided yet at this point.

We're looking to have a Five Guys type of feel where there will be some simple tables there for those wanting to eat in but we'll also be offering delivery and take-out. No wait staff.

And as I already said, the menu will be rather simple with lamb and chicken kabobs being combined with bread, rice and salad to form different entrees.

Does $15,000 sound about reasonable?

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Wed, 11/9/11 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                $15000.00 should get you the information you want since you don't want to do the work. Lets see (consulting fee) at $95 hr. you'll get 157 hours or just over 19, eight hour days. I'd assume you'll also have to pay travel and a per diem though. Let the Chef know in advance when you want him to start, he is a busy man.

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
                                  Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Wed, 11/9/11 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                  if you are buying new equipment then you are looking at about 75000 +  if you are going to auctions and buying the stuff on the used end, you are probably looking at about 45000. If you buy a turnkey place that has most of the equipment in there then you will be better off.  You really need to have some logical idea of what you are doing before even thinking of doing a b&m establishment. If your place doesn't have a walk in then you are looking at an easy 25k purchase. These guys may seem harsh but they know what they are talking about. Look at it this way, a fully equipt food truck can run you 100k and that's just a truck. Now imagine what a store can run.

Blissful Bite

• Total Posts: 55
                                    Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Wed, 11/9/11 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                    You'd benefit by checking out the used restaurant equipment dealers in your area. They often host auctions, service equipment, and very much know the pulse of the industry in your area.

Some dealers can be a great resource for your business, a lot of them will rip you off. 

Kabman

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Wed, 11/9/11 8:15 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks a lot to WildDog and Blissful Bite for some very useful insights.

Blissful Bite

• Total Posts: 55
                                        Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Wed, 11/9/11 10:53 PM (permalink)
                                        Bless the Dr., Chefbuba, Foodbme, and other gristly steaks for gently shaking many a starry-eyed rookie restauranteur.  

Food is a tough, messy, expensive business that has fried many dreams, fortunes, and families.

Take your time, do your research, learn about the hard lessons the easy way. 

Honor your dream by properly feeding it!

SR-71

• Total Posts: 15
                                          Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Thu, 11/10/11 1:27 AM (permalink)
                                          I'm guessing it would be around $17, 642.18

THE WILD DOG

• Total Posts: 1465
                                            Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Thu, 11/10/11 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                            is that your final answer ?

Chicnscoop

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Thu, 11/10/11 2:49 PM (permalink)
                                              I think we should take bids.
                                              Let's see - if this was The Price is Right - I say $1.

Chicnscoop

Re:How much does the kitchen equipment for an average Kabob restaurant cost? Thu, 11/10/11 2:49 PM (permalink)
                                                I think we should take bids.
                                                Let's see - if this was The Price is Right - I say $1.
                                                What do I win?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com