The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Congress makes pizza a vegetable

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
Congress makes pizza a vegetable Tue, 11/22/11 8:30 AM (permalink)
http://www.huffingtonpost...getable_b_1101433.html

Congress doesn't get it right very often, but this time they hit a home run. Now I no longer will get strange looks when I ask for a side of pizza with my roast beef. I better start seeing pizza slices under vegetables on every menu!

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
    Re:Congress makes pizza a vegetable Tue, 11/22/11 9:58 AM (permalink)
    Nothing surprises anymoe.

"EU officials concluded that, following a three-year investigation, there was no evidence to prove the previously undisputed fact.
    Producers of bottled water are now forbidden by law from making the claim and will face a two-year jail sentence if they defy the edict, which comes into force in the UK next month.
    Last night, critics claimed the EU was at odds with both science and common sense. Conservative MEP Roger Helmer said: “This is stupidity writ large.
    “The euro is burning, the EU is falling apart and yet here they are: highly-paid, highly-pensioned officials worrying about the obvious qualities of water and trying to deny us the right to say what is patently true.
    “If ever there were an episode which demonstrates the folly of the great European project then this is it.”

NHS health guidelines state clearly that drinking water helps avoid dehydration, and that Britons should drink at least 1.2 litres per day.
    The Department for Health disputed the wisdom of the new law. A spokesman said: “Of course water hydrates. While we support the EU in preventing false claims about products, we need to exercise common sense as far as possible."
    German professors Dr Andreas Hahn and Dr Moritz Hagenmeyer, who advise food manufacturers on how to advertise their products, asked the European Commission if the claim could be made on labels.
    They compiled what they assumed was an uncontroversial statement in order to test new laws which allow products to claim they can reduce the risk of disease, subject to EU approval.
    They applied for the right to state that “regular consumption of significant amounts of water can reduce the risk of development of dehydration” as well as preventing a decrease in performance.
    However, last February, the European Food Standards Authority (EFSA) refused to approve the statement.
    A meeting of 21 scientists in Parma, Italy, concluded that reduced water content in the body was a symptom of dehydration and not something that drinking water could subsequently control.
    Now the EFSA verdict has been turned into an EU directive which was issued on Wednesday.

jman

• Total Posts: 1275
      Re:Congress makes pizza a vegetable Tue, 11/22/11 11:36 AM (permalink)
      That's not exactly what happened.  HuffPo is not known to be an objective source.  If you look at this article from WaPo, it brings much more context to the argument.

FTA: 
      There’s just one little misperception: Congress didn’t declare pizza to be a vegetable. And, from a strictly nutritional standpoint, there’s decent evidence that lawmakers didn’t exactly bungle this decision.
      Let’s revisit the facts: Despite what one might expect from the headlines, if you scour the agriculture appropriations bill, referenced in numerous stories, you won’t find a single mention of the word “pizza,” or even “vegetable,” for that matter.
      This is not a fight over pizza. It is, instead, a fight about tomato paste. Specifically, it’s a fight about how much of the product counts as one serving of vegetables.

If you look at the comparison of the nutritional values as shown in the WaPo article, it's easy to see that the HuffPo article was more about politics than it was about facts.  Because of density, 1/8th cup of tomato paste stacks up pretty well with a 1/2 cup of vegetables/fruits that includes a lot of air space. 

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
        Re:Congress makes pizza a vegetable Tue, 11/22/11 1:25 PM (permalink)
        I really wasn't posting it for political reasons or because I believe everything I read. I just thought it was a good story to make a roadfood joke about.

I want my hamburgers to be considered fruits darn it!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          Re:Congress makes pizza a vegetable Tue, 11/22/11 1:57 PM (permalink)
          I guess they have nothing more important to do.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com