Kinda Krabby Konklusion

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7920
2011/11/27 18:50:22 (permalink)

Kinda Krabby Konklusion

Those of you might remember a couple of months ago I conducted a poll  recommending where I should go for my final Roadfood Trip of the year. Although Maryland's Eastern Shore was the front runner, due to expenses which were higher than I expected, I chose the runner up- Philadelphia.
I was all set and ready to go until an unexpected October snow storm let loose and as a result cancelled my plans.

Well it seems that all worked out for the best- fares and rental car costs into Baltimore dropped so as you all know majority rules.

Saturday November 19

Catching an early flight into Baltimore  I grabbed my rental car and had some time to kill before my breakfast plans for so a quick stop for some  java at Big Bean in Severna Park was in order. 

Afterwards I headed a couple of miles down the road to The Breakfast Shoppe

and met up with former roadfood poster Meowzart aka Webgoddess (Debbie)  and her Poolboy (Thomas) for those familiar with the website formerly known as Roguefood.  In addition, Signman also joined us as well. 

Arriving a little early, I was expecting the place to be crowded, however there was only about a 20 minute wait.

Debbie ordered the pumpkin pancakes, Thomas ordered this huge gargantuan breakfast casserole, I believe Signman ordered pancakes and homefries and of course being the regionalist I had to go with the mid atlantic specialty Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast.

Actually this is chipped beef on Challah- it was quite good and very filling and definitely held me over till my next meal. 

Debbie is a baker extraordinaire and made some salted oatmeal cookes for me which I ended up nibbling the entire length of my trip.

It was great to see this motley bunch of characters and I'm hoping that the next time around there won't be such a gap in time.

After breakfast I took my first drive over the Chesepeake Bay bridge and arrived in St Michaels MD around noon time.

It's a quaint town with a nautical bent nestled along the Chesapeake Bay.

This sign caught my attention prompting me to get an iced coffee

fortunately or unfortunately there was no blue crab in my coffee..

Strolling around town, I stopped by a local microbrewery called Eastern Shore Brewing. They had a tasting room and I ordered sampler. The wheat ale and porter were my favorites...

After some further strolling it was time for lunch at The Crab Claw.

Being a steamed crab virgin, I was about to be "de-virginized".

Luckily the place setting provides instructions, however my waitress said she would assist as well.

I started out with the oyster soup. 

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. It was bland and only had a few measly oysters. I'm hoping the crab picking experience will be better

I ordered a dozen medium crabs (that's the biggest they had)

I was in complete awe at what was delivered to my table. There were actually more like 15 crabs that were set in front of me. I spent the next hour or so (at least) just pick- pick- picking away.  I really enjoyed my first experience and it actually led to a happy ending...

Smith Island Cake- A unique regional specialty found only on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It's a multi layer cake and the frosting had  a unique taste and consistency, almost like a hershey's candy bar- it was a fine conclusion to this meal

Since I passed a good part of the afternoon pickin' crab, it was after 3pm when I left the restaurant which didn't give me much time for my final destination in St Michaels.

The Cheseapeake Bay Maritime Museum located actually right next door to the Crab Claw
I had less than an hour to look around since they close at 4pm, however the fee was reduced to $5.00

The museum which is actually comprises several structures depicts the history of bay life including boat building, oystering and crabbing. 

Unfortunately the light house was closed so I couldn't get in

I believe this is a re creation of an eastern shore oyster bar. 

and this is a crab processing plant

There were approximately 15 exhibits, unfortunately I only got to see about 10. 

Afterwards I left St Michael's and stopped in Easton another quaint town on the eastern shore with interesting shops.

I believe this is the courthouse.

It was  dark when I left Easton and just in  time for my  dinner stop.

The Suicide Bridge Resaurant in Hurlock- practically in the middle of no where.   

I started out with Crab Vegetable Soup.The soup was chockfull of crab meat, however I found the broth was bland..

The jumbo lump Crab Cake I ordered was divine

I don't think you can find a better crab cake, my only regret is that I ordered one instead of two.

The sides

onion rings  (not home made) and stewed tomatoes were ok...

In retrospect the main course was obviously the star of this meal. Perhaps next time if  ever return, it will be for lunch so I can enjoy the view.

It was just over an hour drive back to my hotel, about 3 miles outside of Annapolis. I did end up driving into town and spent the evening walking around. I  did stop for a night cap at the Rams Head Brewery, and continued to walk around town afterwards. When I thought my evening was over and was ready to return to my car, I observed an Ice Cream Shop with quite a few people inside. Since it is November, I was surprised the ice cream shop would be crowded.
http://www.annapolisicecream.com/

The Annapolis Ice Cream Company
I walked in and asked the young lady behind the counter if they make their own ice cream and she pointed to the room next door. I ordered one scoop but was told I could get two flavors (or half a scoop of each)  since it twas the season, I got half pumpkin and  half cinnamon.  I think I preferred the cinnamon over the pumpkin but both were certainly above average. 
Unfortunately no photos since I left my camera at the hotel

A sweet end to a long and busy day..

The final chapter tomorrow.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/11/29 19:48:21

34 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1