Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35
DJ in CT

• Total Posts: 1
RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? Sun, 08/14/05 2:05 PM (permalink)
YES - for those of you that used to eat at LUMS - they had an excellent KLP.

These dayd, ive been very impressed with some of the KLP's from the vendors that supply Costco, Sams, etc

jon march
www.powerstationevents.com

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
    RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? Sun, 08/14/05 3:20 PM (permalink)
    It's a must to use real key limes versus the larger traditional type. Key limes are slightly smaller than a golf ball and more tart than a regular lime. Also, Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk is my preferred brand. These pies are my daughter's favorite and we go through about 4 a month! I use 4 jumbo yolks per pie, mix with the milk and lime juice, place in 350 oven for 10 min. (just to set), then chill and serve in a couple of hours. One more thing, NEVER EVER use that "RealLime" bottled juice crap. Finally, use real whipped cream for a topping! Sorry, guess I got carried away....I'm going to go make a pie now!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
      RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? Sun, 08/14/05 3:38 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by JaneDoughTry the recipe on the bottle of Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice, available at some supermarkets (in either baking or drink mixer aisle), and most gourmet shops. All it has is egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and the juice. Pour into HOME-MADE graham cracker-sugar-melted butter crust, bake briefly, chill. Before you serve it, let it come back to room temp for at least 30 mins. for the perfect creamy consistency. No jello-like pies here!

I gotta find that. Nellie and Joe's in Key West is where I had my first hunk of Key Lime Pie. It struck me as a Lime Merengue pie without the Merengue (which is made with egg WHITES. Coincidence?) and cost me my last $5 to get it with a cup of coffee in 1982, but I was hooked since.

My other two great Florida memory are:

1). Going to Disney's Epcot center the day after it opened for the very first time. I saw a little more than half of it.

2). The last time I saw gas for less than $1 a gallon (99.9 cents) was in Orlando in 1982.

theburgerguy

• Total Posts: 17
        RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? Thu, 05/18/06 2:32 PM (permalink)
        I saw this place on TV (The Food Network). They make it exactly like the recipe on the bottle of Nellie & Joe's. The call it Killer Key Lime Pie.

http://www.mikespies.com/home.php

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
          RE: Where can I find the best Key Lime Pie? Thu, 05/18/06 5:26 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by theburgerguy

I saw this place on TV (The Food Network). They make it exactly like the recipe on the bottle of Nellie & Joe's. The call it Killer Key Lime Pie.

http://www.mikespies.com/home.php

Pie looks great! Thanks for posting.

We had Gas for 89 cents a gallon in 1998 and 1999, I live in Michigan.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com