Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Rules Of Texas Red Chili

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 51
scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 641
The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/2/11 3:44 PM (permalink)
We're planning a big backyard party out here in Austin in the next couple of weeks now that day time temps have left the hundreds. We're putting out brisket,Texas Red,Pintos with plenty bacon and jalapenos,potato salad,cabbage braised with ham shanks and bourbon pudding.
At a menu planning meeting with the rest of the crew we were all drinking when the topic of Texas Red came up. I couldn't believe how many people had bad information on an authentic recipe.
Here are the sole ingredients of Texas Red

1.Beef Chuck cut into cubes
2.Fat,preferably beef suet
3.Chili powder[out in these parts Gebhardt is king]
4.Garlic,lots of fresh garlic
5.Stock or water if you don't have the time to make a batch of authentic stock
6.Masa,for thickening
That's about it.
Backstory: http://www.scrumptiousche...The-Rules-of-Texas-Red
How do you make your Texas Red?

mar52

• Total Posts: 7605
    Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/2/11 5:12 PM (permalink)

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
      Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/2/11 5:40 PM (permalink)
      You also need  CUMIN, Paparika, Oregano, Tomato Sauce and some Tomato fillets.
      Check out the recipes of the first place finishers at the Terilinga, Texas Chili Cook Off, on Google.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
        Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/2/11 5:45 PM (permalink)
        Due to the dubious origin of the absolute FIRST Bowl of Red, I doubt that anyone has THE recipe used to make that first bowl. Like other foodstuffs such as potato salad and coleslaw, there is no one identifiable, original recipe.
        So, that being said, may I offer for your consideration the following recipe from the lady Mar52 mentions above - Jane Butel's passionate cookbook titled "Chili Madness", (1st Edition"):
        Pecos River Bowl of Red
        3 Lbs Lean Beef, course chili grind OR 1" cubes
        2 TBSP Lard, Butter or Bacon Drippings
        1 Lg Onion, coarsely chopped
        3 Medium Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
        4 TBSP Ground Hot Red Chile
        4 TBSP Ground Mild Red Chile
        2 Tsp Ground Cumin
        3 C Water
        1 1/2 Tsp Salt
        1. Melt lard, butter or drippings in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent
        2. In a bowl, combine the meat with the ground chiles, garlic and cumin.
        3. Add to the pot and stir until browned
        4. Add water and salt. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer, uncovered for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours, stirring occasionally until meat is tender and flavors are well blended.
        5. Add water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
        6. Serves 6

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
          Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/2/11 7:21 PM (permalink)
          I'm not going to get into this one because there are probably as many recipes for "Texas Red" as there are stars in the Milky Way.
          <message edited by Twinwillow on Fri, 12/2/11 9:28 PM>

Michael Stern

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 7:02 AM (permalink)
            According to Frank X. Tolbert in A Bowl of Red, "The 'original' was simply bite-size or coarsely ground beef or other mature meats cooked slowly and for a long time in boon companionship with the pulp of chili peppers, crushed powder from the curly leaves of oregano, ground cumin seeds, and chopped garlic cloves." If ever there was an authority on Texas chili, Tolbert was it ... which is not to say there aren't nearly as many variations as there are cooks.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
              Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 11:52 AM (permalink)
              Michael Stern

According to Frank X. Tolbert in A Bowl of Red, "The 'original' was simply bite-size or coarsely ground beef or other mature meats cooked slowly and for a long time in boon companionship with the pulp of chili peppers, crushed powder from the curly leaves of oregano, ground cumin seeds, and chopped garlic cloves." If ever there was an authority on Texas chili, Tolbert was it ... which is not to say there aren't nearly as many variations as there are cooks.

Lord that looks great Michael, Where is it from?

MiamiDon

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 12:48 PM (permalink)
                Michael Stern

I'm surprised that his ingredients do not include some sort of onions.  After looking at a lot of old Texas chili recipes, I came up with this essential ingredients list:

Beef
                Fat
                Water
                Chiles
                Cumin
                Onions
                Garlic
                Salt

My chilis use additional ingredients, because I am not a purist and other people besides me eat it.  Bacon, pork, oregano, sugar,  green bell peppers and ..... BEANS!  I mix and match types of chiles according to what's around.  For instance, I cannot find smoked habaneros around here anymore.  I used to use them.

Michael Stern

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 1:51 PM (permalink)
                  The Little Diner, Canutillo, Texas.

chewingthefat

Lord that looks great Michael, Where is it from?

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2245
                    Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 1:54 PM (permalink)
                    These are the rules for Terlingua International Championship "Texas Red Chili" Cook-off........looks pretty basic to me..........
                    1. Chili must be cooked on site the day of the cookoff from scratch. "Scratch" means starting with raw meat and using regular spices. "Scratch" means starting with raw meat and spices. Commercial chili powder is permissible, but complete
                    commercial chili mixes are NOT permitted.

2. Chili must be prepared out in the open in as sanitary a manner as possible.

3. No beans, pasta, rice or other similar items are allowed.

4. The head cook must prepare the chili to be judged.

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 3:22 PM (permalink)
                      Chest swelling with pride.....a response from Michael Stern,the man himself, has made my whole weekend. A ray of sunshine on a rare,cloudy,rainy day out here in Austin.

a homage to roadfood, the best food forum on the internet is right here http://www.scrumptiousche...-Your-Time--8-Roadfood

mar52

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 3:36 PM (permalink)
                        Scrump,  I have a question:

Nice blog.  Looks like you have a nice following.

I'm looking for a small source of income.  Do the ads on your site give you a little spare change when people look at it?

Back to A Bowl of Red...

mar52

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 3:37 PM (permalink)
                          The picture of that Bowl of Red that Michael Stern posted looks like it could burn all the way down!

Foodbme

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sat, 12/3/11 10:54 PM (permalink)
                            mar52

The picture of that Bowl of Red that Michael Stern posted looks like it could burn all the way down!

Based on the description above, it would all depend on the Scovill's of the Chile Peppers used.

Michael Stern

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sun, 12/4/11 6:58 AM (permalink)
                              mar52

As I recall, it is hot, but not murderous. I recently was eating hot fried chicken in Nashville, and thought that some of the hot versions there were hotter than any bowl of red I've ever had or any incendiary barbecue sauce. I didn't dare try any Nashville "extra hot."

mar52

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sun, 12/4/11 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                "Hot" is such a relative term.

Just like in people. 

Foodbme

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sun, 12/4/11 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                  mar52

"Hot" is such a relative term.
                                  Just like in people. 

My 83 year old neighbor lady thinks I'm "Hot", so there you go!

mar52

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sun, 12/4/11 1:29 PM (permalink)

Sundancer7

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sun, 12/4/11 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                      I think Michael knows his Texas Red.  It is a very confusing thing as there are so many variations.  Michael has been there and he knows.  I do not.  I will bet Bushie knows??

Paul E. Smith
                                      Knoxville, TN

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                                        Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Thu, 12/8/11 9:13 AM (permalink)
                                        Frank X. Tolbert's daughter has a restaurant in Grapevine, TX (DFW airport vicinity) which serves her father's Texas Red.  At the restaurant, it is excellent.  (The frozen variety which I once bought at a local grocery was a HUGE disappointment; others must have agreed because I haven't seen it for a few years). http://www.tolbertsrestaurant.com/

The best Texas Chile I have ever made (or tasted anywhere) is from Emeril: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/texas-style-chili-recipe/index.html

Michael Stern

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Thu, 12/8/11 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                          I wrote this short review of Tolbert's nearly a year ago and for some reason never published it.

Foodbme

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Thu, 12/8/11 1:54 PM (permalink)
                                            So, go ahead and publish it. It's a good one!
                                            As the sisters in the play, "Arsenic and Old Lace" say-- "Do you have the Recipe?"
                                            <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 12/8/11 1:57 PM>

Michael Stern

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Thu, 12/8/11 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                              Foodbme

So, go ahead and publish it. It's a good one!
                                              As the sisters in the play, "Arsenic and Old Lace" say-- "Do you have the Recipe?"

Tolbert says how to do it pretty thoroughly in the book, although I'm not sure that's how they make it at the restaurant. (True authenticity, he notes, calls for beef kidney suet.)

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                                                • Location: Mendocino County, CA
                                                Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/9/11 2:28 AM (permalink)
                                                chewingthefat

You also need  CUMIN, Paparika, Oregano, Tomato Sauce and some Tomato fillets.
                                                Check out the recipes of the first place finishers at the Terilinga, Texas Chili Cook Off, on Google.

I agree about the cumino and paprika...

I often use leftover Tri-Tip cubed up as the base of my chili

Some folks will disagree about the tomato...(I don't use it unless I want gringo chili)

Whenever I cook Mexican, corriander is something I think goes well with onions...(I also pair these when cooking non Mexican foods as well)...

One of the hallmarks of quality home cooking is using fresh herbs and spices...

Yet many of the competition ccoks use powdered herbs and spices, for consistancy from batch to batch...

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/9/11 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  1/4 lb Fat[ I use clarified bacon fat but beef suet would be more traditional ]
                                                  5 lbs Beef Tips [Chuck Roast cut into cubes is best but you may use the product labeled beef tips in the market]
                                                  1/2 Cup Chili Powder[Gebhardt is king in Texas but if you can't find it use common sense and buy a good brand. Preferably from a market that sells a fair amount of it so it's fresh. If you have access to a genuine Mexican market then you can find the really good stuff and get a pure chile powder like Guajillo]
                                                  2 T. Cumin[I like to buy the seeds,toast them on a comal,then grind them in a spice grinder but powdered cumin will work just fine
                                                  2 T. Ground Oregano aka Mexican Oregano[Not the Italian kind, this Oregano is sold as a powder and is essential in this dish]
                                                  1 T. Salt or to taste
                                                  1 T. Cayenne [obviously if you'd like to ratchet up the heat just add more]
                                                  1 bulb Garlic [Freshly minced garlic,not the stuff that sits in a jar of oil in your fridge]
                                                  2 quarts Stock[I use chicken which is not traditional, beef is recommended here for purists. If you don't have time to make stock the brand Better Than Bouillion is surprisingly good]
                                                  1/2 Cup Masa Harina [If you can't find masa mix in your part of the country, corn meal will do just fine-the finer grind the better]
                                                  1/2 Cup Water
                                                  Technique:
                                                  *Heat fat til it shimmers
                                                  *Brown beef thoroughly
                                                  *Add seasonings and simmer two to three hours or til meat can be easily cut with edge of fork
                                                  *Defat
                                                  *Add stock,bring to boil,
                                                  *Add slurry of masa mix/water
                                                  *Simmer 30 minutes
                                                  * Adjust flavors

cooking notes http://www.scrumptiousche...hentic-Texas-Red-Chili

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                                                    Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/9/11 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                                    Michael Stern

mar52

As I recall, it is hot, but not murderous. I recently was eating hot fried chicken in Nashville, and thought that some of the hot versions there were hotter than any bowl of red I've ever had or any incendiary barbecue sauce. I didn't dare try any Nashville "extra hot."

OMG, Prince's Hot Chicken is one of my favorite things.  This video says it all:  http://vimeo.com/1422484 .

The owner of Prince's, Audre Prince Jeffries, sets the tone:  "My uncle was a womanizer ... this business grew out of a punishment".

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                                                      • Location: Ocean City, NJ
                                                      Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Fri, 12/9/11 7:38 PM (permalink)
                                                      check these out;

http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

SpicyCheese

• Total Posts: 30
                                                        Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sun, 12/11/11 4:06 PM (permalink)
                                                        Sometimes, the original is not the best, and the modifications that come later make it better.  This is true with cars, computers, software, and smoked meat. 
                                                        <message edited by SpicyCheese on Sun, 12/11/11 4:09 PM>

SpicyCheese

• Total Posts: 30
                                                          • Location: Monroe, WI
                                                          Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sun, 12/11/11 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                                          Twinwillow

I'm not going to get into this one because there are probably as many recipes for "Texas Red" as there are stars in the Milky Way.

I totally agree.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                                            • Location: Syracuse, NY
                                                            Re:The Rules Of Texas Red Chili Sun, 12/11/11 4:50 PM (permalink)
                                                            I use the Dinosaur BBQ Cookbook recipe. It is no doubt not authentic but it is none the less awesome. It has in addition to the ingredients mentioned above, a stick of cinnamon and at the last minute is finished with oregano, lime juice and cilantro. Its our favorite chili recipe and it'd probably get me drummed out of Texas...but then I'd have to go there first.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 51

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com