Thanksgiving Trip 2011

Author
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
2011/12/03 17:19:47 (permalink)

Thanksgiving Trip 2011

Hey Food Fans.

So Thanksgiving has come and gone and of course that means another trip south for us. So, once again that means another trip report.

Our food journey began at Slows BBQ in Detroit.

A week before we left I didn’t know this place existed. Then I see Man v. Food feature it one night and the day before we leave I see a thread hailing the Triple Threat Pork sandwich as one of Motown’s 10 best things to eat. Had to be fate. The Brisket Enchilada was good but not worth another look. Not much Q taste from the brisket. The Tempura Battered Catfish was fabulous. Crispy batter with succulent fish. Awesome.

Speaking of awesome, the TTP was every bit as good as it looks. Add a bit of the Mustard sauce and it’s an absolute home run.

That night we hooked up with a fellow Tennessee Squire at Blue Ash Chili in Cincinnati. I had a Coney Bowl. 3 pups cut up and smothered in chili and cheese. I forgot to add mustard and onions so while it was good, it could've been better.

I also took advantage of 2 distinct Cinci items and had a Double Decker, Goetta, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. 

It was absolutely delicious. BTW, they sure seem to love mayo in Cinci.

Tuesday’s lunch was at Rick’s White Light Diner.

Featured on 3D it’s a tiny place in the Kentucky capital of Frankfort. There was nothing that wasn’t good although most of it was no better.

The crawfish pie sample (the wedge thing) was very, very good.

Mrs. Sippi has talked quite a bit lately about Country Boy in Lieper’s Fork, Tn.

Two county favourites from this Meat n Three, Chicken Fried Steak and Fried Chicken. Both were superb.
"
The sides excellent too.

We walked accross the street to Puckett's Grocery on a scouting mission. We noticed they sold smoked turkeys for Thanksgiving. Rick, the GM showed us his smoker and the gorgeous turkeys within.

So once in Huntsville we ate a bit on the cheap. My SIL treated us to Lime Fresh Mexican Grill.

A new chain in the White Elephant shopping centre known as Bridge St.

I ordered a medley of tacos. Baja Fish (decent), Steak (inoffensive) and Tijuana Chicken (best but not saying much)

Dinner that night afforded me the opportunity to sample another of Huntsville’s 20 Tastes. Big Ed’s Pizza.

The Big 8 pizza on the list really wasn’t all that great. I’m not a big “Deluxe Pizza” person so that didn’t help. To many toppings for a thin crust and all the vegetation made it watery.

The more simple pepperoni and black olive pie was just a good solid pie. Absolutely enjoyable.

Turkey day saw possibly the best TG meal I’ve ever had.  I gave thanks.

Hitting Stanlio’s Subs for lunch on Friday meant sampling the Kitchen Sink sub at #12 on the list of 20.

One thing I really like is they buy bread dough from Sam’s and bake it in house. It makes the rolls very fresh.

The Pizza and Steak and Cheese sub were really good but the Kitchen Sink really was great. I love genoa and it was prominent on the KS.

We hit up Gi Gi’s Cupcakes for desert.

The Huntsville branch of the cupcake boutique. We ordered Chocolate Salted Caramel (okay), Stawberry Shortcake (really good) and Midnight Magic (oh dear god).

They’re very sweet and one is about all I can handle. And I like really sweet stuff.

So Saturday was the day of the big game. Nothing special planned for that but two stand-bys were on the menu. Back to Taters N Dawgs for a Tater Melt and Smokey Cornwall Burger.

Their normal burger with Smokey Cornwall BBQ sauce. Of course the burger itself is great but and the sauce was fantastic. They’re kind of an upstart company. If you get a chance, try a bottle.

Off to Dreamland for ribs for dinner.

I still think these are some of the best ribs around.

Another exceptional rack.

Leaving for home we stopped for one last epic meal. Puckett’s Grocery in Lieper’s Fork.

This is the original Puckett’s but no longer associated with the Nashville and Franklin locations. BBQ, Pimento Cheese and Fried Baloney sandwiches were all really good. The pie was very good.

The Fried Chicken was the best I’ve had. Crispy, herby breading and moist inside. Sides were good too.

So there you have it food fans. Our trip in food.

DT
post edited by Davwud - 2011/12/03 17:24:24

18 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1