What Wooed Wanderingjew- The Best of 2011

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
2011/12/14 20:42:28 (permalink)

What Wooed Wanderingjew- The Best of 2011

As we're approaching the end of the year, I thought I would begin the best of list a little early  like I did last year with a few  teasers. Traditionally- I'll  continue with the bulk of the list just after Christmas and conclude with the Top 10 New Restaurants of 2011 around New Years.

Like last year, I thought I would begin with the year's best soups (and stew)... It won't be a top 10 list since I don't have enough, but it will include "standby's" in other words soup I've enjoyed previously as well as honorable mentions. Unfortunately I'm missing a photo for one of the award winning soups ...but here goes anyway....

Best Soup   (and Stew) of 2011 (In No Particular Order)

Stand Bys

1. Fish Chowder - No Name Restaurant Boston MA

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that the No Name has gone down hill,  however this aquarium in a bowl   that I enjoyed at the No Name last January with Buffetbuster certainly proves those critics wrong.

2. Peanut Soup- Southern Kitchen New Market VA

More bisque than soup, velvety, nutty with hints of onion.

Best New Soups

3- Beer Cheese Soup- The Old Fashioned Madison WI

(photo courtesy of Screaming Chicken)

The  Old Fashioned is a relatively new restaurant in a classic "old fashioned" setting serving the best of Wisconsin and I couldn't think of a better way to meet Screaming Brad for the first time, the classic mating of beer and dairy represents what Wisconsin is all about.

4. Brunswick Stew-  Galax Smokehouse Galax VA

This won't be the first time that the Galax Smokehouse will find itself on a best of list. The chunky and smoky stew was enhanced to a new level by adding some of Galax Smokehouse's bbq sauces.

5. Mushroom Barley Soup - Second Avenue Deli New York NY (no photo  )

Salty, smokey and sultry, this is your grandmother's Mushroom and Barley Soup

6. Nana's Vegetable Crab Soup - Thompson's Seafood Corner Market Mechanicsville MD

Probably the finest Maryland Crab Soup I've ever enjoyed.

7. Stuffed Cabbage Soup- Babushka's Kitchen Northfield OH

A meal in a bowl- this zesty soup was loaded with cabbage, meat and rice.

8. Chicken Dumpling Soup-   Belgrade Gardens Barberton OH

This may actually win best soup of the year. soft billowy dumplings and shreds of chicken actually outdo the broth.

Honorable Mentions

9 Chicken Meatball Vegetable Soup- Angelo's Restaurant & Bar St. Louis MO

Angelo's is a member of the Lombardo' s Restaurant Family in St Louis. known for their toasted ravioli- I wasn't expecting much when I ordered this cup of soup, but when it arrived my only regret was that I didn't get a bowl.

10. Potato Soup - Oregon Dairy Restaurant Lititz PA

I'm not usually a fan of potato soup, however this cup of soup could easily make me a convert.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/12/14 20:43:30

118 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1