The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Winter time Sales

righthandfan

• Total Posts: 39
Winter time Sales Thu, 12/15/11 5:22 PM (permalink)
To those hotdoggers out their doing business in the northern states. Are you still selling? I have kept on selling and have not seen a slow down in sales. Of course their are days that I don't sell because of rain/snow. But on non-wet days I sell just as much as I did over the summer months. My situation may be a bit different than some. I sell dogs/sausages 5 days a week (Mon-Fri) at 5 different office parks for lunch only from 11am - 1pm. All of my customers are constantly thanking me for being their and telling me how much they appreciate me being there for them. I do sell a lot more chili these days. Just a week ago I had some of the best sales on average in comparison to last spring-summer. So, don't let cold weather keep you on camp couch, get out there and sell, sell, sell.

Dragon Dog

• Total Posts: 147
    Re:Winter time Sales Thu, 12/15/11 6:48 PM (permalink)
    Glad to hear that it is working out good for you in the cold months. Here in Arizona, we have the opposite problem...the summer is the really slow time (who wants to stand outside and eat when it's 115 degrees, right?).

I've been thinking about doing what it sounds like you are doing...getting a little vending route going. just can't figure out how to keep the burners lit while the cart is in motion. Also, would need to devise a locking system for the tops of the steam pans so they don't come flying off.

Are you selling from a cart or a truck/trailer? If it's a cart...how do you keep the burners lit while traveling?

righthandfan

• Total Posts: 39
      Re:Winter time Sales Sat, 12/17/11 4:33 PM (permalink)
      I operate out of a Hot Dog Cart built by Willy Dogs. I only do one location per day, serving from 11am to 1pm. I go to a different office park each day on a set schedule. I have no need to keep my burners lit while in transit. Additionally, at the conclusion of each food service I break down my steam table, stow the pans in a container and pack into my Chevy Blazer. My cart is equipped with a griddle and half pan steam table set-up with four 1/6 pans that have, chili, kraut, grilled onions&peppers and nacho cheese sauce. Would prefer to use real cheese, put my local HD won't allow it. I sell Nathans Hot Dogs, Smoked Sausage, Sweet Italian Sausage and Bratwurst.

brinklley

• Total Posts: 34
        Re:Winter time Sales Fri, 01/13/12 10:20 AM (permalink)
        That is so awesome for you......
        I am here in the pacific northwest and am going to set up via canopy & bbq grill...
        I need to have something hot in the pot and could not think of what to put in Chili is it....
        I do not know how much to sell a hotdog for with chili on it....

rh8272

• Total Posts: 3
          Re:Winter time Sales Sun, 11/18/12 4:01 PM (permalink)
          Hi I am in baltimore Md and I have been trying to get going for sometime now. I recently went for inspection and they said I need a HACCP  plan are you familiar with this if so could you please advise me as to how to write on up. Thank in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

To those hotdoggers out their doing business in the northern states. Are you still selling? I have kept on selling and have not seen a slow down in sales. Of course their are days that I don't sell because of rain/snow. But on non-wet days I sell just as much as I did over the summer months. My situation may be a bit different than some. I sell dogs/sausages 5 days a week (Mon-Fri) at 5 different office parks for lunch only from 11am - 1pm. All of my customers are constantly thanking me for being their and telling me how much they appreciate me being there for them. I do sell a lot more chili these days. Just a week ago I had some of the best sales on average in comparison to last spring-summer. So, don't let cold weather keep you on camp couch, get out there and sell, sell, sell.

jcheese

• Total Posts: 738
            Re:Winter time Sales Sun, 11/18/12 5:44 PM (permalink)
            rh8272

Hi I am in baltimore Md and I have been trying to get going for sometime now. I recently went for inspection and they said I need a HACCP  plan are you familiar with this if so could you please advise me as to how to write on up. Thank in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Are you standing outside with a cart, or enclosed? Makes a difference.

djdawg

• Total Posts: 439
              Re:Winter time Sales Sun, 11/18/12 7:01 PM (permalink)
              Hey Brinklley...don't be afraid to sell...I'm north of you in Bellingham and my sales have remained the same.  I've only been out about 2 months so far so who knows what's normal but I haven't seen any huge dip.  It's a must to have a 10' x 10' pop canopy so your customers can stand out of the rain while ordering or no one will come.  I sell my chili cheese dog for $4.00 but your mileage may vary...check out other carts and price 'em....

rh8272

• Total Posts: 3
                Re:Winter time Sales Sun, 11/18/12 8:30 PM (permalink)
                I have an enclosed  single person smaill stand in hot dog cart.

hella good tacos

• Total Posts: 112
                  Re:Winter time Sales Tue, 11/20/12 10:34 PM (permalink)
                  I am in Maine, about as far north as you can go in the U.S.

If it isn't raining or snowing too bad you will still see me out.  

I do a lot of late night business.  The cold doesn't slow people down from drinking and so long as they are drinking i will be out there feeding them.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com