The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
Smashburger trumps Five Guys!!! Sun, 12/18/11 11:53 AM (permalink)
IMHO, of course.

Back in the 1980's my fellow Arlingtonian Jerry Murrell developed a "better mousetrap":  the Five Guys Burger.  It beat the pants off "McWendyKing".  And that's all he aspired to do:  fill the gap between the "fast food" dreck served by "McWendyKing" and the excellent restaurant-style burger served, (to give a D.C. Metro example), by Clyde's.

Whether one "likes" them or not, no one can argue that Five Guys is not a spectacular commercial success.  It may surprise some of you that my many posts that have praised them have been more a celebration of the American Free Market System than "flakking" for Five Guys.  I am just a retired poor country businessman and economist who thinks Smith, Hayek, and Friedman are under-appreciated and who also happens to likes a decent burger.

And I have found one better than Five Guys':  Smashburger!  Again, what we are talking about here is a continuum of burger quality ranging from that frozen thing you unwrap and zap at the 7-11, to McD's to........Waffle House (Mr. Hoffman) to...............Five Guys to.........Smashburger to............. .....Clyde's (e.g.) to.................. (all the way) to Peter Luger's (or some Wagu/Kobe $100.00 burger at some au courant NYC joint). 

And, within that continuum there is a segment that can be called "fast food/limited service".  For me, prior, Five Guys topped that segment; now I believe that Smashburger does.

Here is why:  Smashburger uses better meat, prepares it more skillfully, serves more of it on a better bun, does so in an esthetically pleasing fashion, and offers more value for the buck.

Meat:  Angus grade beef v. ground chuck. 
Prep:  Seared and carmelized in butter v. fried and "squished". (Both are "well done). 
Qualtity: 5.3 oz. v. 3.3 oz.
Served unwrapped on a paper-lined steel mesh tray v. foil-wrapped and smooshed in a poke (Yinzer for paper bag).
Bun: Un-smooshed vs. smooched (and damp). (I HATE wet bread!). 
Value: 94 cents/oz. of beef v. $1.14.

Like Five Guys, Smashburger offers all sorts of "free" toppings.  Of course, both charge for bacon & cheese.  The one area where they fall short is in the "fries" department both in terms of quality and quantity.  And, for you "juice" fans, the Smashburger is juicy due to its tasty carmelized crust while Five Guys is merely moist.

The better mousetrap has been invented.  God Bless America!  And free enterprise.
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Sun, 12/18/11 6:30 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com