The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

kimchi =7 points HD inspection

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
  • Roadfood Insider
kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 7:54 AM (permalink)
By SUMATHI REDDY

Ramin Talaie for The Wall Street Journal
Lidea Park prepares a kimchi dish in her Queens restaurant on Sunday.

Lidea Park, owner of Duck Hyang restaurant in Queens, says she makes kimchi with trepidation.

Ever since she received seven violation points during a city health inspection in June, she's been fearful about how her restaurant prepares and stores kimchi, a traditional fermented dish that is a staple in Korean cuisine. The violation points resulted from five pounds of kimchi being left at room temperature and exceeding the city Department of Health's 41-degree temperature requirement for cold foods, according to the inspection.

Snipped by MikeS.

Write to Sumathi Reddy at sumathi.reddy@wsj.com
To read more:
http://online.wsj.com/art...77108632273070376.html
<message edited by MikeS. on Thu, 12/22/11 4:46 AM>

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 12:08 PM (permalink)
    Jman,
    The story really does portray the problems that come up from time to time between the HD and the vendors. It takes time to work out the bugs in the system and some continued education on the part of the health department.
    <message edited by MikeS. on Thu, 12/22/11 4:49 AM>

jman

• Total Posts: 1277
      Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 1:03 PM (permalink)
      Dr of BBQ

Jman,
      The story really does portray the problems that come up from time to time between the HD and the vendors. It takes time to work out the bugs in the system and some continued education on the part of the health department.

Let me expand on that.  This story portrays the problems when pitting government bureaucracy against common-sense problem-solving.   
      <message edited by MikeS. on Thu, 12/22/11 4:50 AM>

ricoboxing

• Total Posts: 33
        Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 2:48 PM (permalink)
        health inspectors should be able to use discretion before issuing violations. Not everything in the kitchen is black and white.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 3:27 PM (permalink)
          I flagged it.  Yes, the story is interesting, but you cannot post a story from another source here.  Brief summary/link is how it should be handled.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
            Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 4:44 PM (permalink)

I flagged it.  Yes, the story is interesting, but you cannot post a story from another source here.  Brief summary/link is how it should be handled.

But it is not spam and this forum should have another Flag rather than just SPAM. So yes, you are still an idiot. Rather than flagging it as spam you should have posted the correct way of handling this story. PLUS you should have PM'ed Dr of BBQ the info on how to handle the story as well. Linking to a story from someplace else usually means that by the time I get to the story, it has disappeared and I am siting on a page extolling the virtues of some celebrity that I have never heard of or some new electronic gadget or something else I have absolutely no interest in. I believe the post does not violate copyright since it includes all the correct attributes (who wrote it, where it was "published") .

The NY HD is also idiots and myopic ones at that. They are ignorant about some foods that are popular in their city and do not want to be told different.

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
              Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 5:06 PM (permalink)
              Rotten cabbage is still rotten

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
                Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 5:08 PM (permalink)
                Rotten cabbage is still rotten

I don't understand how noone has been killed by eating shrimp paste. The whole concept grosses me out.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                  Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 5:20 PM (permalink)

Rather than flagging it as spam you should have posted the correct way of handling this story. PLUS you should have PM'ed Dr of BBQ the info on how to handle the story as well.

Well said.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
                    Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 6:59 PM (permalink)

Hey Bruce, exactly who appointed you Captan of the Roadfood.com Police Force?  Last I checked, you are not a Moderator on this site.  You job description is as follows:

"Sue Boyle and Bruce Bilmes met in 1975 in the land of spiedies. Together, they write reviews for Roadfood.com, as well as contribute to The Roadfood Digest. Bruce is also the Restaurants and Reviews Editor for Roadfood.com, and he composes the weekly Roadfood.com poll. Astrological signs: Sue is an Abbott’s hot lobster roll and Bruce is a Pepe’s white clam pie."

You had a couple of choices here, and none of them involved hitting the "SPAM" button.

A - Hit the "REPORT ABUSE" button and wait for a Moderator(which you are not)to address the situation.

2 - Run squealing to the Moderators(which you are not)with this major infraction of the rules and ask them to address the situation.  

C - Show some respect for a longtime poster like Doc by dropping him a PM.

Z - Quit wrapping yourself up in your own self impotance.

It seems every time I see you post, it involves some kind of pi$$ing match.  It would appear you have more issues than TV Guide. 

Oh, speaking of Spam, isn't that what you post on the home page in order to drive Google searches to this site? 

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 7:43 PM (permalink)
                      Hey, xxxxxxx, I did NOT hit a spam button, I hit the Flag for Moderator Action button.  The fact that it placed a spam banner on his post is not my doing.  I have an active interest in this site; I don't want us to be sued, and I don't want Dr of BBQ to be sued either.

joerogo, Bleeeppppppppp

MikeS.
                      <message edited by MikeS. on Thu, 12/22/11 5:13 AM>

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 7:56 PM (permalink)
                        By the way, including "all the correct attributes (who wrote it, where it was "published")" does not allow you to cut and paste an article from another source.  It's still copyright infringement.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                          • Location: Roswell, NM until we leave for another place
                          Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 11:00 PM (permalink)

By the way, including "all the correct attributes (who wrote it, where it was "published")" does not allow you to cut and paste an article from another source.  It's still copyright infringement.

After checking http://www.copyright.gov/...q/faq-definitions.html

What is copyright infringement?
                          As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

You are right. Since the article was not reproduced for monetary gain, and it was credited & linked back to the source. I think the only way WSJ would get nasty about it is if someone on this forum reported it. And then probably not much if anything.  Apparently what the WSJ would prefer is a hyper link. Which will eventually, or immediately in my experience, give us a worthless 404 error.

"Sue Boyle and Bruce Bilmes met in 1975 in the land of spiedies. Together, they write reviews for Roadfood.com, as well as contribute to The Roadfood Digest. Bruce is also the Restaurants and Reviews Editor for Roadfood.com, and he composes the weekly Roadfood.com poll. Astrological signs: Sue is an Abbott’s hot lobster roll and Bruce is a Pepe’s white clam pie."

BTW, what the flying fig bars is this??? What is a "spiedies". I think I am glad I don't go to any other section of roadfood. I did once or twice but I only like the forum. The rest gives me a headache. Am I going to get banned now for saying that?

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
                            Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Wed, 12/21/11 11:41 PM (permalink)
                            Lorna, lol, I confess, I didn`t know what a "spiedies" is either. Googled it, doesn`t look too appetising. Looks like one needs a bottle of Tums if eaten.
                            See you guys tomorrow, bringing camera, be prepared.
                            You banned? I hope not. Their might be a mass exit of RoadFooders.

• Roadfood Insider
                              Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Thu, 12/22/11 1:19 AM (permalink)
                              The thing about copyright infringement is only partly about protection against a lawsuit.  It's also about it simply being the wrong thing to do.  The story belongs to someone else, it's the result of someone else's efforts and talents, and nobody should be able to use it without their permission.

agmccall

• Total Posts: 239
                                Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Thu, 12/22/11 5:11 AM (permalink)
                                Wow, I think the HD was right about the violation.

It seems that Kimchi affects peoples mental stability

al

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:kimchi =7 points HD inspection Thu, 12/22/11 6:29 AM (permalink)
                                  I see the " Spirit of Christmas ", and all the other seasonal Holidays, has touched the hearts and typing urges of some folks. It make me feel all warm and fuzzy to read the expressions of mutual respect that I find here.  Ho Ho Ho, Boys and Girls, Stand by for some Lumps of Coal coming your way.

SANTA knows who has been NAUGHTY and also , who has been nice ! 

Your Friendly Moderator Elves, 
                                      The "Real" Moderators !

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com