The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Grandma Brown's Bean and Split Pea Soup - Where to Buy?

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
Grandma Brown's Bean and Split Pea Soup - Where to Buy? Fri, 12/23/11 3:24 PM (permalink)
I recently came across Grandma Brown's baked beans and loved them.  The can label mentions they also make bean and split pea soups (my favorites) but the store doesn't carry them or seem to know about them.  For some reason, except for Campbell's regular line of soups, any bean or split pea seems hard to come by.  Grandma Brown is small company in extreme northern New York state.  Anybody know stores in the mid-Atlantic region that sell their soups?  (Wegmans Supermarkets, also my favorite, sells the beans - but not the soups.)

webean

• Total Posts: 42
    Re:Grandma Brown's Bean and Split Pea Soup - Where to Buy? Fri, 12/23/11 5:32 PM (permalink)
    Amazon.com sells both the beans and the soup
    Somehow that does not suprised me

michaelcarraher

Re:Grandma Brown's Bean and Split Pea Soup - Where to Buy? Fri, 12/23/11 5:38 PM (permalink)
      Webean, right.  A few other odd-food sites list it, too.  However, the shipping price is a deal killer.  I was wondering if anybody knew of stores that carry it. 

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
        Re:Grandma Brown's Bean and Split Pea Soup - Where to Buy? Sat, 12/24/11 12:52 AM (permalink)
        Hello Michael!  I'm originally from Central NY (Rome) and Price Chopper is a Schenectady, NY based chain that I grew up with and they carry most if not all of Grandma Brown's products.  Huge fan of the baked beans!  I've seen the soups at their stores in the past.  They do have some around the Scranton and Wilkes-Barre area.  Not sure how practical that is in relation to where you live but just wanted to put it out there.  Here is a map of their PA locations:  http://www.pricechopper.com/StoreLocator/Store_HitList_S.las?State=PA&FullState=Pennsylvania&S=
        Hope this helps!
        Happy Eating!

kman160

• Total Posts: 160
          Re:Grandma Brown's Bean and Split Pea Soup - Where to Buy? Wed, 12/28/11 8:55 AM (permalink)

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
            Re:Grandma Brown's Bean and Split Pea Soup - Where to Buy? Wed, 12/28/11 1:31 PM (permalink)
            It's actually made in Mexico, NY, which is about 30 miles north of me, so it's not what I'd call extreme northern NY... more central.
            I've seen the soups in most grocery stores around here, including Wegmans. Not sure why the Wegmans in your area wouldn't carry it.

We can't have a cookout around here without a pan of Grandma Brown's baked beans, preferably with brown sugar, molasses, and topped with bacon. It's a state law, I think.

michaelcarraher

Re:Grandma Brown's Bean and Split Pea Soup - Where to Buy? Mon, 01/2/12 11:17 AM (permalink)
              @billyboy: Thanks for the lead to Price Chopper.  I do get up to the Scranton-Wilkes Barre area occasionally and I'll make a point to check them out.

@SeamusD: I love Wegman's but unfortunately they only carry the baked beans (at least around here).  I really like Grandma Brown's baked beans, too, which is why I'd really like to try her soups.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com