The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Have been up and operating for over a year now!

RiceWorks

• Total Posts: 25
Have been up and operating for over a year now! Sat, 12/24/11 2:25 AM (permalink)
Well I don't know how to efficiently post pictures on here. So...
WWW.Facebook.com/RiceWorksAsianFood

We are going right into the cold months now, and as always its rough! There were a few new food trucks that came into the food truck scene here locally, and a couple more that are going to sprout up next year. As of right now i can only think of a couple trucks that are actually running through these winter months.
Anyways, my advice to all these new truck/trailer owners is that the food service industry is rough, but mobile food service can even be rougher! The 130 degree weather inside the truck in the summer is not to be taken lightly, and the below freezing weather in the winter is killer. I don't actually have any pictures of the inside posted up on my FB, maybe i will do that when i open back up on Monday.
Let me know what you guys think of the truck!

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Have been up and operating for over a year now! Sat, 12/24/11 9:13 AM (permalink)
    Phu,
    Just some thoughts. The pictures of your truck in this article make your truck look much better than those on your Facebook page. I'd change those if you have some better photos. http://www.boiseweekly.co...-phu-tran-of-riceworks

But how the heck do you work in "the 130 degree in the summer, and the below freezing weather in the winter" is it really that hot and that cold? Geez That's one extreme to another. Did you build your truck yourself?

Good Luck
    Jack
    <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Sat, 12/24/11 3:55 PM>

RiceWorks

Re:Have been up and operating for over a year now! Sat, 12/24/11 2:20 PM (permalink)
      Doc,
      Yea the pictures are sort of all over the place. I really didn't intend for the pictures to showcase the truck or any such thing. I think the majority of those pictures were takin when the truck was in the process of getting painted. It is all clear coated now.
           As for the weather, the truck is typically about 20-25 degrees hotter than the ambient temp. We even leave the hood on the whole time we are operating in the summer hours. In the Winter we try to keep the hood off as much as possible. I currently run a 3x3 griddle, Wok, and Full sized LP Fryer so that contributes to a lot of the heat in the summer, especially during lunch rushes. Last winter, water would freeze almost instantly when it hit the floor. It's nothing like the -40 degree weather some of the guys talk about, but its enough to freeze your tail off!
           My father actually built the majority of the truck himself back in 2001. My brother and I did the other stuff like help build the concrete pad that it now sits on. I did a few things to it once it was passed on to me. I painted it, converted it from a 2 BBL to a 4 BBL carb, installed two new fridges, installed an awning, and of course cleaned everything.
         I follow and enjoy your posts very often Doc, thanks for being the guru of this roadfood society. Hope you enjoyed my take on Asian/Fusion cuisine!

-Phu

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:Have been up and operating for over a year now! Sat, 12/24/11 3:38 PM (permalink)
        "I currently run a 3x3 griddle, Wok, and Full sized LP Fryer"

Yup that will do it in fact I'll bet the Wok is a real heat/BTU generator. We don't have any one that attempts any of the menu items like your serving (Korean short Ribs,Vietnamese grilled ham,and Vietnamese BBQ Pork) here in Springfield. And if we did I think they would be a big hit.

I just came back home from eating at Chinese restaurant and they have a Teriyaki Chicken dish that I love. It's just a pan grilled chicken chunks in a very lite and slightly sweet Teriyaki sauce. But they grill (I assume it's grilled) the chicken long enough that it ends up with a nice char that makes it great.I wish we had a truck like yours here in town. I would be a fan. By the way did you know www.Rice-Works.org is available?

How do you think Sushi would go at an event? I keep thinking about hiring one of the local Sushi makers for my events. I could set it up so he or she would make it right in front of the stand while everyone watched. You know you gotta have some smoke and fire, razzle dazzle to entertain the crowd. Or at least I think you do. And yes post some inside pics of your truck I'd love to see them. In fact if you have a problem posting them send them to me and I'll post them for you. Jack@DrofBBQ.com 
        <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Sat, 12/24/11 3:52 PM>

RiceWorks

Re:Have been up and operating for over a year now! Sat, 12/24/11 8:42 PM (permalink)
          The wok is a 100,000 BTU burner i believe. The fryer is like 80, and the griddle is like 50,00. The issue is the fryer kicks on every so often to keep the oil hot, and i leave the griddle on at least medium while i am operating. The wok is great, but it doesn't handle more than a few orders at a time.
              Teriyaki sauce IMO should not be super sweet like some store bought kinds. It can be painstaking sometimes but I brew my own Teriyaki. When I first opened all i did was Teriyaki, than later on i had to respond to the demand for a larger selection. I actually had about 15 different items on my menu at one point in time (big mistake.) I learned that running certain items as specials WEEKLY really helps me get all my items out there efficiently. It also helps me with waste control.
               I have been thinking about getting a web-site up, what's the cost on that? If that is open I would definitely reserve that. I have a twitter account also but i rarely use it, Boise is not ready for something like that yet IMO.
              You have a very good concept as far as the sushi goes. But i learned that good concepts sometimes are far ahead of the time. I am not sure if something like a person rolling sushi would draw that big of a crowd. I have a window in front of my grill which allows me to open it and cook in front of everyone. It sort of allows me to do a "Tepanyaki" style cooking like the restaurants. The only downside is that i have a 6" lip on my grill to keep it clean and it allows me to hold a lot of food on the sides while i am boxing it.
               I do many events and lunches which require me to pull off 45 second ticket times so the razzle dazzle doesn't happen unless business is slow. I will get some better pics of the truck over-all and try to get them up. Have a good Christmas Doc!

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Have been up and operating for over a year now! Sun, 12/25/11 3:00 PM (permalink)
            Rice Works "I have been thinking about getting a web-site up, what's the cost on that? If that is open I would definitely reserve that. I have a twitter account also but i rarely use it, Boise is not ready for something like that yet IMO."

At Go Daddy $6.95 for RiceWorks.org Click on this link
            http://www.godaddy.com/do...376&isc=gofn2001ca

The cost of getting a web site up and running varies greatly on how mild or wild you get. I think truck pictures, food pictures, and some background on your food experience is a must. Anything more than that is ok but not necessary. My guy that designed my site is pretty inexpensive. If you want his email address let me know.

Barbeque barn

• Total Posts: 187
              Re:Have been up and operating for over a year now! Mon, 12/26/11 11:27 PM (permalink)
              For some relief of the cold from the floor use a rug runner and get relief rubber mats to stand on.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com