11 Delicious Plates of Food from 2011

Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1037
2011/12/25 13:02:52 (permalink)

11 Delicious Plates of Food from 2011

I ate a lot of good things in '11 (and there still is a week to go). Here are 11 that make me happy and hungry just to think about.

In April, Jane and I went to England on a sticky toffee pudding expedition (which will appear in a forthcoming issue of Saveur). While on the trail, we also came across Sticky Ginger Pudding, here topped with heavy cream at the Eagle & Child Pub in Staveley, Cumbria:

The month before that, we ate ourselves silly at the New Orleans Roadfood Festival. Before the vendors set up on Sunday, I tucked into Brennan's for Bananas Foster:

Two other memorable desserts were the triple-flavor Bison sundae at Condrell's in Buffalo...

...and the simple, sensational caramel Cake at Poe Boy Luncheon in Nashville:

Oh, and one more sweet. Sour cream raisin pie at the Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic, Iowa. (It was a toss-up between this and Charlene's out-of-this-world Peanut Butter Chocolate Explosion Pie):

Again for Saveur, we explored Nashville (article to follow) and, naturally, ate some amazing, incendiary, addictive hot chicken, this lovely leg sold by Hot Stuff Spicy Chicken and Fish:

Chris and Amy lured me to central Connecticut with the promise of superb steamed cheeseburgers. The steamer at K. LaMay's was a revelation:

During the Milwaukee leg of the Roadfood tour, I was wowed by McBob's reuben, which is my favorite, anywhere:

I drove through Indiana very quickly, but of course made time to stop at Nick's Kitchen for the best sugar cream pie and a definitive tenderloin:

During a breathtakingly scenic autumn trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I discovered cudighi, a unique Italian sausage sandwich that Yoopers love:

And just last week, testing recipes for a forthcoming Super Bowl story in Parade and looking for an unusual kind of bruschetta, I was given a great idea by a wine bar in San Mateo called B Street & Vine -- honey and gorgonzola. Delish!

Looking forward to more good eats in 2012, and hope to see my Roadfood friends in New Orleans this Spring. (OMG, I didn't even mention Louie Mueller's brisket!)

16 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1