The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Foods that bring back memories

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42
FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 02/23/12 6:07 PM (permalink)
I always had.............have..........my pork roll and cheese on a bagel............Yes, not the same, but still comforting....and I grill the bagel in butter first.

• Total Posts: 51
    Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 02/24/12 11:12 AM (permalink)
    CajunKing

318 - Gubmint Grilled Cheese Sandwiches were the best. 

LOL they dont make em like that anymore!  I didnt think anyone would know what I was talking about..

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3299
      Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 02/24/12 1:13 PM (permalink)

CajunKing

LOL they dont make em like that anymore!  I didnt think anyone would know what I was talking about..

It was one of the only good things about being poor! Government cheese also made pretty darn fine macaroni and cheese.

Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 02/24/12 4:49 PM (permalink)
        felix4067

CajunKing

It was one of the only good things about being poor! Government cheese also made pretty darn fine macaroni and cheese.

As well as fizza (fake pizza) white bread, sauce, balogna or press ham, and cheese, put under the overn so the broiler would make it perfect!  You were doing it big if you had some sausage or bacon to put on it. 

Do they still give it out?  LOL
        Oh and I guess I should add syrup sandwiches, freeze cups and chilli cheese nachos from the candy house,
        peanut patties from church, ham sandwiches the day after thanksgiving, airheads before school (watermelon), hot water cornbread, that bottle of trappeys peppers in vinegar that was always on your grandmamas table, the sauce from banks BBQ, Freeman and Harris cafe (they sold tarter sauce by the quart back then for like $20, now a 16 oz jar is $8 - get three every time I go home), meat pies, yohoo chocolate milk, drinking pace picante sauce out of the bottle, kool aid, and the craziest one of all time - apple pie with a slice of melted amrican cheese!

OK this is getting out of hand, Im considering a special trip home for the hell of it...

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3299
          Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 02/24/12 4:53 PM (permalink)

As well as fizza (fake pizza) white bread, sauce, balogna or press ham, and cheese, put under the overn so the broiler would make it perfect!  You were doing it big if you had some sausage or bacon to put on it. 

We called ours "bread spread". It was a mixture of some kind of meat (probably ham from my grandma's neighbour's farm, but I wouldn't swear to it...coulda been Spam) sent through the meat grinder, then mixed with Miracle Whip and diced government cheese. Spread on white bread and broil.

Dammit. Now I want some. Weird how the things you detested as a child (and/or were embarrassed about because you were "those poor kids") become fond memories and things you actually crave as an adult.

Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 02/24/12 5:57 PM (permalink)

Dammit. Now I want some. Weird how the things you detested as a child (and/or were embarrassed about because you were "those poor kids") become fond memories and things you actually crave as an adult.

I know!  Saturday mornings it was automatic - freeze cups for cartoons, i remember using water at times.  LMAO I didnt have chineese food until I was 24 years old, ate the whole plate in the truck in the parking lot, was supposed to go home!  The more I think about this the more stuff I remember.  Pig feet, doughnuts out of biscuits with powdered sugar, pink panther stage planks, faygo strawberry soda, breaded beef type product patties- there was no way to make them good no matter what you did, summer breakfast and lunch at the neighborhood school, jungle juice, sugar smacks, pork chop and cheese sandwich from EJ's cafe with chilli cheese fries and (2 newports for a quarter).  

My stomach is growling now!  I guess its kinda fun to step away from the every day a remember the good old days..

Tex-Max

• Total Posts: 103
              Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 02/24/12 6:00 PM (permalink)
              Creamed Tuna on Toast and Canasta every Saturday.  Definitely fond memories.

BookNFoodFreak

• Total Posts: 1
                Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 05/11/12 2:51 AM (permalink)
                I know this is a slightly old topic...a few months old, anyway...but I found it on a Google search and had to answer anyway. I have quite a few good food memories, but the ones that mean the most to me are the ones involving my late grandfather...I called him Tata...and my late aunt, Tia Loretta.

Tata always used to take me to a place called Casa de Fruta whenever he was driving me back and forth from his house to stay with my other grandparents, and we would always get fruit and candy there, and no matter what, even if he just came up for the day, he would stop off and get me some walnut-stuffed dates on the way up. I also remember eating Circus Peanuts with him...I hate those things and always have, but he loved them, and I liked sharing things that he loved with him...and canned Vienna Sausages, sardines, Big Red soda, Cactus Cooler soda, watermelon, and pickle juice(I wanted a pickle from the snack truck that stopped by my aunt's once, but the guy was out, so Tata bought the jar of pickle juice, and I drank the whole thing). One of the best things was fish, though. He used to take me to the lake to go fishing, and once I actually managed to catch something, so we took it home, and he taught me how to clean and gut it before my grandma fried it for us. I don't think anything's ever tasted as good as I remember that fish tasting.

I don't have a lot of food memories of Tia Loretta, which is weird, because the woman was always cooking when I was over, but the one thing I do remember is her having a huge wheel of Longhorn cheddar cheese on her counter during one visit, and cutting off big chunks of it for me whenever I wandered into the kitchen.
                <message edited by BookNFoodFreak on Fri, 05/11/12 2:52 AM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                  Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 05/11/12 11:01 AM (permalink)
                  BookNFoodFreak, thank you for sharing those great memories. You're pretty fortunate.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 05/11/12 11:49 AM (permalink)
                    Tex-Max,
                      The last time I played Canasta was in 1963 on the trainride back to Boston after receiving my release from active duty (Army). I have never played cards much, but Canasta was something I grew up with in the family. I can recall the card game that lasted for a day and a half, but not the food we had on the Super Chief !!! I do seem to recall jumping off the train in Albuquerque to run across the street to a package store to buy some very cheap booze to allow us to continue the game without paying the high-bar-tab charged by the Santa Fe Lounge-car operators !! 
                        For a food memory...of Mother and Grandmother's work,  I can recall the odor of Roasting Pork..Bone-In Rib Roasts, with lots of Caraway seeds sprinkled all over it. The sweetened Red Cabbage ( cooking on the stove-top) tried, but couldn't overpower the smell of that delicious Pork and seasoning.  I guess it is a link to my Czech Heritage.

Ralph Melton

Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 05/11/12 12:19 PM (permalink)
                      BookNFoodFreak, that's a splendid first post. Thank you very much!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                        Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 05/11/12 3:00 PM (permalink)
                        BookNFoodFreak,  Welcome!

You had me smiling from the start of your post and I kept it all the way through.

What nice memories.  I hope you join us and post in some of the other forums.

We need more Californians here!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com