The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer

RockyMountainBoy

• Total Posts: 2
Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer Thu, 01/5/12 2:18 AM (permalink)
Hi all,

So, the health department here tells me that I need a water heater that's big enough and powerful enough to provide hot water for my 3-compartment sink, prep sink and hand washing sink. Problem is, I don't have a ton of space for a real big one and I'd like to keep the costs down if possible. I'm looking for something in the 10-12 gallon range, electric, that can put out a min of 2kw power. My trailer is wired for 120volts and I've got 20amp circuit breakers. Maybe I'm going down the wrong road looking for an electric one, and should look into gas? I've looked at tankless, but there's nothing that would have a flow rate sufficient for filling up a sink and is compatible with 120volts. Any ideas? The HD is being pretty particular.

Thanks!

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer Thu, 01/5/12 9:34 AM (permalink)

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
      Re:Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer Thu, 01/5/12 5:35 PM (permalink)
      Go with either a tankless or a 10 gallon RV  water heater (I'm partial to the Atwood brand but that's what's in the Class C and we showered with a 6 gallon unit). Either way, you are looking at LP units. We like the tankless Eccotemp L5 we have. Downside is that with below freezing night temps here n NM, the tankless heaters will only raise the water temp a certain amount. David has had to heat the water on the burner a few times to get it hot enough to wash dishes. Ours is not vented outside (cart leaks like a sieve in the wind) but with a little fiddling, we can mount an exhaust on it. Right now, it's helping to keep David warm!

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

• Total Posts: 132
        Re:Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer Thu, 01/5/12 9:39 PM (permalink)
        I will also say the L5, Mine has been running great.I have quick dissconects on mine because I can not leave it in there overnight. Going to try to incororate a block heater in my water tank this summer to try to keep the water warm before going thru the L5

RockyMountainBoy

• Total Posts: 2
          Re:Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer Thu, 01/5/12 11:42 PM (permalink)
          Thanks, all, for the advice. Unfortunately, the HD won't let me use the L5-- not enough power for them. That's really my issue-- finding something with enough power that's still small enough to fit and won't blow my 20 amp breakers. The 10-gallon RV style heater may be the only solution, but it's still quite bulky. Frustrating stuff.
          I'm curious-- if you detach the L5 every night, how do you warm everything back up the next morning so as not to blow it out when you restart it?

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

• Total Posts: 132
            Re:Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer Fri, 01/6/12 12:23 AM (permalink)
            If not the L5 how about the L10 ? I have to take mine out as the below zero weather cracked the last one. Simple when we are done for the night I pull it out sit it in the warm truck then carry it in the house. As far as warming up the trailer I have all my furnace hoses and ducts aimed at the water tanks Potable and non potable I crank up the furnace first thing ,Then light the griddle at -20 takes 10 min to heat the trailer up by the time I get everything out of the truck that needs to go back in the trailer it's warm. On another note after I take the heater out I have quick disconnect for both the LP and water line on the heater I just turn on all the sinks and blow out the lines

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
              Re:Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer Fri, 01/6/12 2:02 PM (permalink)
              We leave our L5 in the cart. We stick a 60Watt incandescent bulb under the sink and prop a couple sheets of Reflectix over the open front of the sink area (all our plumbing & the battery). the floor and back & sides under the sink have been lined with Reflectix as well.

jenneti

• Total Posts: 9
                Re:Question about Water Heater for food truck/trailer Fri, 01/27/12 11:58 PM (permalink)
                Are you still looking for a small water heater?  I have a brand new still in box 6 gallon Rheem that I didn't use in my truck build we ended up using a 6 gallon Eemax.  If you interested, please message me. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com