Roses are Green, Yellow & Black with Garish Silver Helmets

Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2613
2012/01/08 13:05:45 (permalink)

Roses are Green, Yellow & Black with Garish Silver Helmets

Most of you haven't heard that I was laid off from my job on December 22, effective December 23.  Within one hour I was offered another position at the same location with a different employer for more pay, less hours, and no longer working for the insert bad word here (preferably one ending with "hole"). 

I decided to start the new job on January 10, giving myself an extra week for a holiday break with Pie Diva and our son, Martin, in Arizona.  At the urging of a friend, on Christmas Eve I decided to look for Rose Bowl tickets and found 3 in the Rose Bowl end zone for less than face value.  BAMM! We are going!

We began our West Coast road trip from our place outside of Phoenix on New Years Eve.  Our first scheduled stop was Julian, California, a mountain town that we would visit to get away from the beach when we lived in San Diego County in the 1980's.  Along the way we passed The Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area.  We didn't stop for pictures (pie was our next stop), but were in awe of the temporary city of RV's and every type of sand-based off-road vehicle known to man.  It would be a cool place to visit some time.

Julian seems to have grown in the last quarter century, but is still a quaint getaway from the crowded Southern California Coast.  We had a must stop at the Roadfood reviewed Julian Pie Company.

Julian Pie Company had a variety of tasty looking pies and we chose to buy a Caramel Apple Dutch Pie for eating later.

We also bought some Apple Memories to snack on in the car.

That evening we decided on an old favorite for Mexican food in San Diego - the Old Town Mexican Cafe which was near our hotel.  A feature of the restaurant is the handmade tortillas.  The corn tortillas (on left) are patted out by these ladies - pat, pat, pat is heard if you are located near the front of the restaurant.  The hand-rolled flour tortillas (on right) are equally awesome.

Bobbi had the Chicken Mole dinner, "dark, spicy sauce with a hint of chocolate. Very Mexican--yumm!"

The highlight of our meals was the Old Town Famous Carnitas that I ordered crispy style.  "Delicious pieces of pork served in Mexico's traditional style, with cilantro, onion, avocado, tomato, peppers, beans and our own tortillas."  Dang these were good. 

Julian Pie Company
2225 Main Street, Julian, CA
(760) 765-2449 ‎ · julianpie.com

Old Town Mexican Cafe
2489 San Diego Ave, San Diego, CA
(619) 297-4330 ‎ · www.oldtownmexcafe.com
post edited by JRPfeff - 2012/01/08 18:07:08

30 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1