Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Wed, 01/11/12 3:08 PM (permalink)
Twinkie Baker files for protection

http://news.yahoo.com/ico...ankrupt-173021824.html

without starting a political debate...  but when you have to pay your employees pensions and medical in the amount of almost 1 BILLION dollars, something is wrong.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3305
    Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Wed, 01/11/12 3:14 PM (permalink)
    Out of curiosity, where did you get the 1 billion number? I don't see it anywhere in the article.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
      Oh No!! Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's & Sno Balls Go Bankrupt! Wed, 01/11/12 4:13 PM (permalink)
      Say it isn't so!! Hostess Brands, the makers of these delights has filed for Bankruptcy. It's no wonder that the makers of Wonder Bread had to file. They say people are eating healther foods like Yogurt & Fruit. Imagine that!
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45955488/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Wed, 01/11/12 4:19 PM (permalink)
        The story on CNN.
        They owe $944.2 Million to one of the pension/health benefits program
        and
        $11.8 Million to another

"In its filing with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York, Hostess disclosed that its biggest unsecured creditor is the Bakery & Confectionary Union & Industry International Pension Fund, which it owes approximately $944.2 million.
        Its second-largest unsecured creditor, Central States, Southeast and Southwest Areas Pension Plan is owed far less, about $11.8 million."

Thank You Wall Street Journal for the quote
        <message edited by CajunKing on Wed, 01/11/12 4:24 PM>

KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
          Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Wed, 01/11/12 4:26 PM (permalink)
          felix4067

Out of curiosity, where did you get the 1 billion number? I don't see it anywhere in the article.

, I don't see that either, as a union worker though, I get a lot of bs from friends.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
            Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Wed, 01/11/12 4:58 PM (permalink)
            I guess they made promises to their workers that they couldn't or wouldn't keep. So many things I could say here but won't.

jman

• Total Posts: 1277
              Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Wed, 01/11/12 5:27 PM (permalink)
              There's a lot to be said on this subject, but I think I'll just sit back and see where this thread goes.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 332
                Re:Oh No!! Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's & Sno Balls Go Bankrupt! Wed, 01/11/12 6:28 PM (permalink)
                Well, we've done our part to help them. I've got two packs of their golden cupcakes in the pantry.

Tony Bad

Re:Oh No!! Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's & Sno Balls Go Bankrupt! Thu, 01/12/12 10:12 AM (permalink)
                  One of the NY papers had the headline "Hostess runs out of dough".

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Oh No!! Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's & Sno Balls Go Bankrupt! Thu, 01/12/12 1:03 PM (permalink)
                    Tony Bad

Sadly, the play on words wouldn't have worked if more to the point ... "Hostess runs out of ... Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat) ... Dextrose. ... Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavening ... Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate ... Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavorsn Yellow 5, Red 40, AND Sorbic Acid (TO RETAIN FRESHNESS)" Yellow 5, Red 40."  Might not have had the same humorus ring.

Tony Bad

Re:Oh No!! Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's & Sno Balls Go Bankrupt! Thu, 01/12/12 1:05 PM (permalink)
                      wheregreggeats.com

Tony Bad

Sadly, the play on words wouldn't have worked if more to the point ... "Hostess runs out of ... Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat) ... Dextrose. ... Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavening ... Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate ... Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavorsn Yellow 5, Red 40, AND Sorbic Acid (TO RETAIN FRESHNESS)" Yellow 5, Red 40."  Might not have had the same humorus ring.

Yes...that would be much more to the point, but I think it was the NY Post...and they only deal in 1 or 2 syllable words!

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 902
                        Re:Oh No!! Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's & Sno Balls Go Bankrupt! Thu, 01/12/12 2:16 PM (permalink)
                        Picked up a box of Twinkies at Walmart this morning.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6230
                          Re:Oh No!! Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's & Sno Balls Go Bankrupt! Thu, 01/12/12 3:01 PM (permalink)
                          Peanut butter sandwiches will never taste the same without mushy white Wonder Bread.

philM76

• Total Posts: 4
                            Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Tue, 01/17/12 6:33 AM (permalink)
                            CajunKing

Twinkie Baker files for protection

without starting a political debate...  but when you have to pay your employees pensions and medical in the amount of almost 1 BILLION dollars, something is wrong.

Well you can't blame it on the fact that companies actually have to insure their workers though. As a matter of fact if you accomplish to actually double the annual expense for health care (there is supposed to be a link here backing this up) the within 20 years noone has to wonder that at some point health care is getting expensive for companies and individuals ( I have heard companies in the health care business are doing kind of well though, but that would be political debate I guess)
                            <message edited by philM76 on Tue, 01/17/12 6:34 AM>

harleytexas

• Total Posts: 101
                              Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Mon, 02/13/12 5:15 AM (permalink)
                              I've had twinkies once...yuck!

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                                Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Wed, 02/15/12 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                Buy as much as you can...its not like they will go bad.....

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
                                  Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Sat, 02/18/12 1:40 PM (permalink)
                                  to me, Little Debbie cloud cakes taste the same and you save a dollar.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1210
                                    Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Wed, 02/22/12 8:39 PM (permalink)
                                    BelleReve
                                    to me, Little Debbie cloud cakes taste the same and you save a dollar.

I discovered Little Debbie about a decade ago, and was surprised by their (relatively!) high level of quality. Among other things, most of their confections are made with sugar; there's some corn syrup, but very few of their products are made with HFCS, and, even when they do, it tends to be way down on their ingredients list. Mind you, there is a LOT of sugar in their products.

Bart

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
                                      Re:STOCK UP NOW - Twinkies Filing For Bankruptcy Sun, 02/26/12 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                      bartl - thanks for the info, can't say I've tried a lot of the products, but sometimes I'll buy a box of devil cakes and stick them in my refrigerator.  I think these are what a co-worker once told me are good to microwave for hot fudge cake. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com