The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Battery question

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

• Total Posts: 132
Battery question Wed, 01/18/12 12:20 AM (permalink)
Ok been looking all day online now I'm getting lost could not find much in the search here so thought I would ask. We were planing on doing a 1 day event but they turned it into a 2 day. I do not want to run the geny for 24 hrs non stop or off and on just to run the furnace in the trailer. Luckily I left all the wiring for the batteries when I re-did the trailer (Thanks Goodness) Now I just need a deep cycle battery so I can run the trailer furnace over night and keep it from freezing any suggestions on what kind ? Forgot to add the event is in the middle of a frozen lake so no power source also I expect the temp to be below zero 
Thanks
<message edited by Freezers-full-in-Alaska on Wed, 01/18/12 12:22 AM>

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
    Re:Battery question Wed, 01/18/12 1:14 AM (permalink)
    AGM Glass Matt batteries are your best bet. No worries about temperature, corrosive gas venting or spilling. They're hardier and more rugged then gel cell batteries and less fussy about charging/maintainance. They're the only ones we use for all of our back-up systems we install. Check with any RV or any marine outfitter. Some auto stores carry the Optima line made by Johnson Controls or can get them within a day. The "Blue Top" is the deep cycle version.

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

Re:Battery question Wed, 01/18/12 1:31 AM (permalink)
      Ok thanks, I meant to also say in my first post,That in my recent posts I said I was getting away from a battery beacuse I was only running  the water pump and I was using an atv battery then,But bought the ac/dc converter so I can plug the pump in. And I know the atv battery would not run the furnace.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Battery question Wed, 01/18/12 9:33 AM (permalink)
        Don't know the answer but glad to know your ok, been reading the news about your winter storms etc etc.
        Jack

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
          Re:Battery question Wed, 01/18/12 11:09 AM (permalink)
          We use a standard deep cycle 12v marine battery from Wal-mart. We have been keeping it inside the cart (which is "well-ventilated"). For an enclosed space I would say AGMs although I am not comfortable with ANY  battery inside. AGMs are pricey.  To power a furnace overnight, you will need more than one battery (more like 4 well charged batts).  I know an RV furnace  will kill a  decent sized battery bank over night (A decent sized battery bank is a lot more than one battery). That is why the boondocking RVers use LP CAT heaters.  My suggestion for a one shot deal would be to run the genny all night. Is your tank big enough to run all night? OR stick a couple of kerosine heaters or LP heaters in there. For the low temps you get, I would say two heaters should hold you.

Freezers-full-in-Alaska

Re:Battery question Wed, 01/18/12 2:07 PM (permalink)
            Dr of BBQ

Don't know the answer but glad to know your ok, been reading the news about your winter storms etc etc.
            Jack

Done with snow thats for sure. You know you had too much snow when the dogs are on the roof of the cabin with me 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com