The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Do You Still Remember Your Old Telephone Exchange Name?

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
Do You Still Remember Your Old Telephone Exchange Name? Fri, 01/20/12 7:02 PM (permalink)
Those of you that remember using the named prefix instead of 2 digits probably still do. I don't really remember when they phased it out, but it must have been during the latter 60's down here. I remember they changed our phone number around '68 and it was still printed on the phone dial with the first two letters in bold and capitalized print. We had the same phones for probably 40 years until we had to turn them in during the 80's or pay for them. Our original Prefix was FRanklin followed by HIghland. They didn't always correspond to other areas. I had some cousins that had the same first two digits and theirs was GIbson.

I guess if you remember this, you also remember "one long ring" or "two short rings" printed on the dial too if your phone was on a budget. Oh yeah, all the operators back then really did sound like Ernestine. No explanation should be necessary right?

Do you remember your prefix name?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com