The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Have you thought of any food related inventions?

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
Have you thought of any food related inventions? Fri, 01/20/12 9:59 PM (permalink)
I was looking through my freezer, trying to find a place for the packages of chicken and pork chops that I just broke down into smaller packages.

The container of ice cream... what is it?  A quart?  Three fourths of a half gallon?  Whatever it is, it's still big and hogging up a lot of space when it's almost empty.

Then I thought what is needed is an ice cream container that you can compress as you empty it.  Thought about it a good minute until I realized that something was already invented for the problem... the spoon.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
    Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Fri, 01/20/12 10:15 PM (permalink)
    Not really, but I do have a tendency to break open boxed frozen products. I put them into zip lock bags or in the case the product is bagged insided, tape the instruction panel to the side or stick it into the zip lock bag.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
      Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sat, 01/21/12 9:42 AM (permalink)
      This week Mrs. Metro bought a cool tool at Sur la Table: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-634600/Canning-Funnel

This is a great tool for me to store, e.g., home-made spaghetti sauce or chili in jars.  The jars take up much less freezer space than the "Tupperware"-type containers we used to use.

As our kitchen has 51 cupboard doors and 21 drawers, Sur la Table is one of Mrs. Metro's favorite stores.  Yes, it's a little pricey but they have many "neat" items that simply cannot be found under one roof elsewhere.  And the way I look at it is that every hour she spends there foraging and gathering is an hour less for Saks and N-M!

mar52

Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sat, 01/21/12 3:09 PM (permalink)
        You put glass jars in the freezer?  I didn't know that was an option.

I do know that I drop too many things for it to be my option.

Love walking around Sur la Table.  Then I check Ebay if I see an item I like.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3289
          Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sat, 01/21/12 3:13 PM (permalink)
          Rule of thumb is you can put glass jars in the freezer as long as you leave them open while they freeze so the liquid can expand. Me, I like how the plastic square containers stack and fit in the corners of my freezer, so I  never considered jars.

I consider myself fortunate indeed that I don't have a Sur la Table available. Only thing I have is Williams-Sonoma, but they're in the mall and I hate going there. Otherwise I would never have any money.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
            Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sat, 01/21/12 3:32 PM (permalink)
            mar52

You put glass jars in the freezer?  I didn't know that was an option.

Perfectly safe.  Just let the sauce cool and be sure to leave room within the jar for its contents to expand when they freeze.  Fearing food reacting with plastic, my wife has tossed all the "Tupperware" and now uses only glass.  The non-stick skillets went, too.

mar52

Love walking around Sur la Table.  Then I check Ebay if I see an item I like.

Yes.  Especially for anything they have that plugs in, Costco or Sam's has it either in their stores or on-line, e.g.:  our Cuisinart Griddler is $149 at Sur la Table and $59 at Costco. 

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
              Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sat, 01/21/12 4:04 PM (permalink)
              Another factor when freezing is that a VACUUM will be created in a tight sealing  container as the air cools, which can break glass...and scrunch metal cans as we saw in school physics labs...

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2226
                Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sat, 01/21/12 4:05 PM (permalink)
                Mar, if you invited all of us over for ice cream, left overs wouldn't be  a problem. I like your idea, now we just need to work on it before we split the royalties..............Bill

BackRhodes

Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sat, 01/21/12 4:07 PM (permalink)
                  I see a new type of non stick pan advertised, that's not supposed to be toxic, and is approved for use...(I hear the current non stick chemicals will be phased out and or banned soon)...

BackRhodes

Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sat, 01/21/12 4:18 PM (permalink)
                    OK... my idea for an invention is thus:   a soft ice cream dispensor built into a refrigerator...{concept copyright (c) 2012 by Long John, all rights reserved}

and a small container on the side to hold the chocolate dipping syrup...

Something I wish I thought of:  The "Rib-a-lator"...

I saw this on Cowboy Kitchen episode #02 ...it's a 4 tray mini rib style gadget that is a rotisserie for a modern gas grill (unknown if it can work with charcoal or wood fires), and just like a real rib rotisserie, it rotates around...like giving your food a ride on a (hot) merry-go-round...you take your grills out to make room, and it looks like you attach it like any other rotisserie...they say it's battery operated, which might be a weak point unless they have a wall-wart (power supply) for it...
                    <message edited by BackRhodes on Sat, 01/21/12 4:20 PM>

mar52

Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sun, 01/22/12 8:42 PM (permalink)
                      I used to sell those rib-a-lators.

I invented a skewer lift for some Persian customers I had.  Made them out of 2 towel holders with aluminum tube end cross bars.  They could remove the grills, put on the lifter and span their flat skewers across them.  It lifted the meat about 4 inches higher away from the flame.

Tonight's invention thought must be available somewhere.  Whenever I saute something the lenses of my glasses get a light sprinkling of grease... enough to make me crazy!

Are there cooking goggles that fit over eyeglasses?

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                        Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sun, 01/22/12 10:49 PM (permalink)
                        Sure. Any hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. sell safety goggles.

mar52

Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Sun, 01/22/12 11:39 PM (permalink)
                          Cool... going to give them a try.  I hate when my glasses are dirty.

Someone needs to market them for cooking.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
                            Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Mon, 01/23/12 10:44 AM (permalink)
                            When I was 8 years old I figured out a way to purge the soft-shell clams I dug of sand so they wouldn't be so grainy when steamed. I began pouring corn meal into the bottom of a bucket. I'd then fill the bucket with water from the (Long Island) Sound and add the clams. It was a wonderful invention, and I was proud of myself. Years later, of course, I learned that folks had been doing that forever -- just not in my family.
                            <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Mon, 01/23/12 10:50 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                              Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Mon, 01/23/12 11:36 AM (permalink)
                              mar52

Of course, then you'll have to clean the goggles.

As I'm often in the same predicament, I've sometimes thought that a clear plastic shield that could be applied to the lenses and then thrown away after it gets dirty might not be a bad idea.

Brad

KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
                                Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Mon, 01/23/12 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                mar52

I use these Onion Goggles at times for getting meat out of the smoker, although they are not prescription lenses.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3289
                                  Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Mon, 01/23/12 12:25 PM (permalink)
                                  What about screen protectors for smartphones or tablets? Cut to size, place on your lenses, then remove when you get grease splatter on them.

Probably not cost-effective, though, now that I think about it.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                    Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Mon, 01/23/12 1:14 PM (permalink)

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                                      Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Mon, 01/23/12 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                      A mouth spray that tastes exactly like your most popular Fast Foods but zero calories.

BackRhodes

Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Tue, 01/24/12 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                        12 Volt DC portable ice cream maker for my car...!!!

I used to eat "Manifold Burgers"...I cooked up batches of burgers that I then wrapped in foil and froze...when I went to work driving a delivery truck, I'd place the burgers on the exhaust manifold...later I'd pop the hood and eat my "manifold burger"...

<message edited by BackRhodes on Tue, 01/24/12 11:05 PM>

mar52

Re:Have you thought of any food related inventions? Tue, 01/24/12 11:37 PM (permalink)
                                          I wouldn't mind cleaning the goggles.  My glasses have to be perfect for me to read the computer.  Goggles wouldn't have to be perfect to cook.

Hmmm,  I have a snorkeling and ski goggles somewhere around here that might fit over my glasses. The finding of them might be a problem worse than the grease.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com