The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Thu, 01/26/12 11:38 AM (permalink)
Last week, the ShopRite chain had Ragu twenty-something ounce jars of Ragu pasta sauce on loss leader special of $1, and I stocked up. For the last 15 years or so, just about all the local chains put this size sauce on deal for 99 cents or a dollar a few times a year. Back around May 2011 they dropped the size of the 26 ounce jar to 24 ounces. But you can still get a twenty-something ounce of Ragu for $1 or so. One of my old recipes, which date from the time the jars held more than 26 ounces, did not turn out right until I bought two jars and froze the remaining portion.  Unilever has been in the forefront of dropping package size, with Breyer's Ice Cream and Hellmann's Mayonnaise the most noticeable of the pack.

Grocers charge anywhere from 99 cents to $2.59 for the twenty-something ounce jar of Ragu sauce, depending on how hoidy-toidy the place is, or how much debt the chain has after the original store owners sold out for a big payday. Why Unilever just doesn't raise the price when necessary is beyond me. I also don't know if some gorilla like WalMart has a "not to exceed price" they are up against. So, let the stuff sit on the shelves unless it sells for a $1 a jar. Let us give them the grief this time.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
    Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Fri, 01/27/12 11:06 PM (permalink)
    <<Unilever has been in the forefront of dropping package size, with Breyer's Ice Cream and Hellmann's Mayonnaise the most noticeable of the pack>>
    I've noticed that many pasta sauce jars have "shrunk" in the past few years. We used to be partial to Prego for a good quick cheap sauce, but unlike Ragu it never seems to go on sale, and it now seems to have shrunk to about 24 oz, which is at least a couple of ounces short of the optimum "jar of sauce to a pound of pasta" ratio.
    Lately we've taken to using Tutorosso Crushed Tomato in cans (on sale at the Shoprite Can Can sale) as a basis for a quick and easy sauce. It's SLIGHTLY more work, but with a much better result, and with sauce left over for future use.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
      Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 2:21 AM (permalink)
      David_NYC

Last week, the ShopRite chain had Ragu twenty-something ounce jars of Ragu pasta sauce on loss leader special of $1, and I stocked up. For the last 15 years or so, just about all the local chains put this size sauce on deal for 99 cents or a dollar a few times a year. Back around May 2011 they dropped the size of the 26 ounce jar to 24 ounces. But you can still get a twenty-something ounce of Ragu for $1 or so. One of my old recipes, which date from the time the jars held more than 26 ounces, did not turn out right until I bought two jars and froze the remaining portion.  Unilever has been in the forefront of dropping package size, with Breyer's Ice Cream and Hellmann's Mayonnaise the most noticeable of the pack.

Grocers charge anywhere from 99 cents to $2.59 for the twenty-something ounce jar of Ragu sauce, depending on how hoidy-toidy the place is, or how much debt the chain has after the original store owners sold out for a big payday. Why Unilever just doesn't raise the price when necessary is beyond me. I also don't know if some gorilla like WalMart has a "not to exceed price" they are up against. So, let the stuff sit on the shelves unless it sells for a $1 a jar. Let us give them the grief this time.

As an Italian,  I'd have to turn in my heritage if I was caught buying this sugary sweet colored concotion..I can make a great pot of gravy for what this stuff costs, even on sale.....sorry!!!!

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
        Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 9:24 AM (permalink)
        Hmm - using Ragu sauce or eating out at Olive Garden.   Tough choice.

Could someone please pass me more of that wonderful Wonder bread?
        <message edited by mjambro on Sat, 01/28/12 9:29 AM>

leethebard

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 10:15 AM (permalink)
          mjambro

Hmm - using Ragu sauce or eating out at Olive Garden.   Tough choice.

Could someone please pass me more of that wonderful Wonder bread?

Ragu loses!!!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
            Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 10:53 AM (permalink)
            Hey, when I'm in lazy funk and don't feel like bothering I'll take a jar of Barilla marinara and doctor it with oilve oil, freshly ground black pepper, dried oregano, chopped fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley, dried (unless I happen to have fresh) basil, garlic granules and some red pepper flakes. It's really good.

leethebard -- Not sweet at all. 

ken8038 -- a whole jar of sauce to a pound of pasta? Sauce is a condiment for pasta. Just a little sauce per serving.
            <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sat, 01/28/12 10:57 AM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
              Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 11:28 AM (permalink)
              I canned 36 jars of tomatoes in the hot hot summer of 2010 so I don't have to buy tomato sauce.  I still buy crushed and diced tomatoes for use in other cooking but for pasta sauce, I have my own.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 11:33 AM (permalink)
                Hmm, I wonder how that would go with some spinach tortellini.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
                  Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 12:17 PM (permalink)
                  I take all the tomatoes in the peak of the season, do a concasse, then rough chop and freeze. This takes care of all my tomato needs for the winter. There is a lot of water that come off the tomatoes after freezing but, after cooking down and reducing you get the meat of the tomato. I use Italian or a puttanesca sea with chopped onion and garlic and I have a fresh tomato sauce for pasta.......I like eating well, good doesn't come out of a jar.............God started us off in life in the Garden of Eden, not a food processing plant with preservatives.........
                  The sauce goes from this

To this

then this

along with this

then I may want add some of these

to cook down into the sauce

to make this

or this

or on a grinder roll for this

or this

so, if you get a chance use these as much as you can, it makes everything better.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 12:25 PM (permalink)
                    Smarta$$
                    <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sat, 01/28/12 12:26 PM>

leethebard

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 12:59 PM (permalink)
                      Pnwchef....that's the way...wow.....making good sauce is fun and so easy.....we freeze our summer toamatos like you(and our fresh pesto also) and use it through the winter,'til done. Then we get Italian canned tomatoes, and use them to start...I learned from my Italian mom...and, at 94,she'd still never use a jarred gravy..nor would I,whenever possible...once or twice a year,I'll use an Italian tomato based jarred sauce...and then doctor it profusely.....none of the jarred cheap  sauces with corn syrup or sugar as the first or second(or third) listed ingredient for us!! Again, making a good gravy from scratch is easy enough.

pnwchef

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 1:06 PM (permalink)
                        Michael Hoffman

Smarta$$

Michael, we both grew up around some of the best food in the United states. Look at all the nationalities that went through ellis Island and settled on the East Coast. I have traveled around the world, I would take this variety of wordily flavors over any other. Most of the other countries you visit specialize in their own foods, we had the opportunity to taste the flavors of all these countries without traveling very far...............Take care my friend..............pnwc

Michael Hoffman

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 1:09 PM (permalink)
                          PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

Smarta$$

Michael, we both grew up around some of the best food in the United states. Look at all the nationalities that went through ellis Island and settled on the East Coast. I have traveled around the world, I would take this variety of wordily flavors over any other. Most of the other countries you visit specialize in their own foods, we had the opportunity to taste the flavors of all these countries without traveling very far...............Take care my friend..............pnwc

Yep, we're both pretty fortunate.

pnwchef

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 1:10 PM (permalink)
                            leethebard

Pnwchef....that's the way...wow.....making good sauce is fun and so easy.....we freeze our summer toamatos like you(and our fresh pesto also) and use it through the winter,'til done. Then we get Italian canned tomatoes, and use them to start...I learned from my Italian mom...and, at 94,she'd still never use a jarred gravy..nor would I,whenever possible...once or twice a year,I'll use an Italian tomato based jarred sauce...and then doctor it profusely.....none of the jarred cheap  sauces with corn syrup or sugar as the first or second(or third) listed ingredient for us!! Again, making a good gravy from scratch is easy enough.

Spoken like a true Italian, it shows in your words, it's all about pride in what you do.........I hope your Mom is doing well at 94..............pnwc

pnwchef

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 1:13 PM (permalink)
                              Michael Hoffman

PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

Smarta$$

Yep, we're both pretty fortunate.

Michael, after saying all that, I'm dying for fried clams, Lobster roll, Rye bread, hard rolls, and what ever you come up with...........

Michael Hoffman

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                We're thinking of getting to Connecticut either this spring, summer, or in September. Whenever, it's going to be tons of fried clams and lobster rolls, and buttered hard rolls for breakfast with great corned beef hash and eggs. And of course, some apizza at Pepe's and Sally's. Plus, I have to show lleechef the "birthplace" of the hamburger, Louis Lunch.

leethebard

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                  Agreed, the New York Metropolitan area is the culinary-diverse capital of America!!!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4469
                                    Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                    Michael Hoffman

Smarta$$

I was going to say Show Off, but Smart A$$ works just as well

pnwchef

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 3:56 PM (permalink)
                                      I guess it takes an Irish/Slovak to cook real Italian food around here. I can feel a picture of a good looking Lasagna coming soon, how about you Joe ???...........

Michael Hoffman

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 4:11 PM (permalink)
                                        It ain't lasagna unless it has sliced meatball layers (although sausage works, too-- and a combination is even better) instead of a mere meat sauce. You're from Connecticut, so you should know that.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                                          Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                          Amazing what a jar of Ragu can become.

My addition to the jar is marinated artichoke hearts plus all those other pre-mentioned additions.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3668
                                            Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                            Michael Hoffman

It ain't lasagna unless it has sliced meatball layers (although sausage works, too-- and a combination is even better) instead of a mere meat sauce. You're from Connecticut, so you should know that.

I totally agree with you.  An old Italian grandmother taught me how to make a wonderful lasagna years ago.

She taught me to make it with sliced Italian sausage layered in.  AND  it had to be served with a large bowl of meatballs on the side!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4469
                                              Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 6:17 PM (permalink)
                                              PNWCHEF, I was doing this today.  I was hoping to have time to make some pasta, but it didn't work out.  Looks like stuffed shells tomorrow.

And I won't forget the cheese! 

pnwchef

Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 6:44 PM (permalink)
                                                Joe, nice, real nice looking food, I need to look for your Kraft Parmesan cheese, do they make it in Kraft Italy ????? I have been using some hard stuff that has to be grated.............after posting all  those Italian pictures, I decided to make spaghetti & Meatballs in a homemade sauce.
                                                Meatballs cookied in olive oil

Homemade sauce

Served with garlic bread. spaghetti is topped with shaved parmesan.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1956
                                                  Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 11:02 PM (permalink)
                                                  Looks good....I did meatball hoagies for lunch special today.....Everyone likes a meatball sandwich.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1956
                                                    Re:Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth Sat, 01/28/12 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                                    Parmesan "style" Grated Topping!!!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com