Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth

Author
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
2012/01/26 11:38:42 (permalink)

Ragu Pasta Sauce - $1 Is All It Is Worth

Last week, the ShopRite chain had Ragu twenty-something ounce jars of Ragu pasta sauce on loss leader special of $1, and I stocked up. For the last 15 years or so, just about all the local chains put this size sauce on deal for 99 cents or a dollar a few times a year. Back around May 2011 they dropped the size of the 26 ounce jar to 24 ounces. But you can still get a twenty-something ounce of Ragu for $1 or so. One of my old recipes, which date from the time the jars held more than 26 ounces, did not turn out right until I bought two jars and froze the remaining portion.  Unilever has been in the forefront of dropping package size, with Breyer's Ice Cream and Hellmann's Mayonnaise the most noticeable of the pack.

Grocers charge anywhere from 99 cents to $2.59 for the twenty-something ounce jar of Ragu sauce, depending on how hoidy-toidy the place is, or how much debt the chain has after the original store owners sold out for a big payday. Why Unilever just doesn't raise the price when necessary is beyond me. I also don't know if some gorilla like WalMart has a "not to exceed price" they are up against. So, let the stuff sit on the shelves unless it sells for a $1 a jar. Let us give them the grief this time.

25 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1