Fat Bruce's (Ripon, WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5097
2012/02/06 08:55:56 (permalink)

Fat Bruce's (Ripon, WI)

A little over a week ago I made a trip to Appleton and on my way there I stopped in Ripon for lunch at Fat Bruce's.  I'd never heard of it before but it turned up when I was scanning Google Maps, and after checking the website I decided it was worth a visit.

Ripon's Watson Street is lined with historic buildings and Fat Bruce's is located at 221.

One half of the space is used for the bakery and coffee, which is roasted and ground on the premises.

While the other half is the "eating kitchen", and here's Bruce Campbell himself taking an order.  No, not that Bruce Campbell.

I was all set to order the Welsh Beef sandwich but that day's special was oven-roasted brisket with cheddar cheese and horseradish-dijon mustard on a choice of bread, and it sounded good enough to get me to change my mind.  Bruce recommended the Vienna bread and I completed my order with some kettle-style potato chips and a Point root beer.  Note the extremely recyclable "toothpick" holding the sandwich together.

Thanks to the moist, tender brisket, fresh, slightly chewy bread, and Wisconsin cheddar (1 slice might initially seem skimpy but it complemented the meat and bread just fine) this had to have been one of the best sandwiches I've had in a long, long time and at less than $10 total I got my money's worth.

I didn't ask if the mustard is a house blend but given the hands-on nature of Fat Bruce's I would be surprised if it wasn't, and I suspect the lack of a fryer in the kitchen is the only reason my chips appeared to be from a bag.  Ripon isn't exactly close but it's not prohibitively far away, either, so hopefully I'll have a chance at another visit before too long.

Brad

10 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1