The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Quick trip to Charleston SC

sudie

• Total Posts: 228
Quick trip to Charleston SC Sat, 02/11/12 10:25 AM (permalink)
We spent 2 days in Charleston and had a wonderful time!  The weather was cool but sunny, just right for walking, shopping and sightseeing.  We had 3 great meals, starting with lunch at Gaulart and Maliclet (Fast and French) on Broad St.  This is in an old dentist's office, charming, but small.  The seating is mostly at community tables, so be warned if this isn't your thing.  It was quite busy at 1:30 on a weekday.  We had a great lunch.  I had the special, a chicken chili over rice, accompanied by a good baguette slice with tomatoes and melted gruyere.  They bring the actual special to the table to show you.  My husband had black bean soup with French bleu cheese and pate on rye.  Both specials included a generous glass of house wine.  For dessert, we shared a chocolate mousse cake and some French press coffee, delicious and our favorite brewing method.  Lunch was under $20.  We met another couple of tourists from PA and had a delightful chat.

Dinner was at Hominy Grill, a place I've wanted to try for a long time.  I had shrimp and grits, their signature dish, and it was wonderful.  It's a bit spicy, but I like it that way. My husband had fried chicken with coleslaw, which he said was delicious and oh-so-cheesy mac and cheese (I was lucky to get a taste).  We split a brownie served with ice-cream and hot fudge on top....a really good dessert.  Actually, the table next to us was sharing one, and we told the waiter that we'd have what they were having...it looked that good, and it was.

We ate at Husk for lunch, having failed to get a dinner reservation and this was probably one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in.  It was Bon Appetit's new restaurant of the year in 2011, for the whole country.  This is really not Roadfood in the strictest sense, as lunch was $53, but a large chalkboard gave the provenance of all the food they served, and pigs are processed on site.  They make their own ham and bacon, and use most of the pig.  Out back, they have a large smoker and a prep house.  Our lunch was beyond great, and the care and time that the chef and staff take really show.  It was a meal for which superlatives were made! 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com