Amtrak Trip: Coast Starlight train #11 and #14

Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
2012/02/19 19:23:13 (permalink)

Amtrak Trip: Coast Starlight train #11 and #14

I recently took a road trip of a different kind: RAILroad trip...

I found out of a detour for train #14, the northbound Coast Starlight...this is what RR type people are on the lookout for...passenger trains being diverted onto scenic freight only routes...

Davis to LA on the normal route...then LA to Davis the next day on a detour route via Soledad Canyon, Lancaster, Mojave, Tehachapi, Bakersfield, Lathrop, Niles Canyon...

I took my pocket GPS with me to record the routes...when I got back I spent some time linking the various gps "tracks" together and color coding them... 

Although what you see above is the average speed, we topped out at 82.5 mph...

Day 1:  Coach class in the diner car... meals NOT included in ticket price

LUNCH: Angus chuck "steak burger"...with optional 2 strips of bacon...on a seseme bun
DINNER: Herb roasted half chicken...with salad, warm roll, and milk

Day 2:  Sleeper class in the Pacific Parlor Car (which runs on the Coast Starlight ONLY) meals included in the ticket price...

LUNCH: Peanut M & M's...there was a snafu for the Pacific Parlor Car they don't have enough capacity to serve ALL the sleeper class passengers in the Parlor Car, and by the time thr steward got to my car all that was available was 1 last sandwich, so, no fun for lunch...and I wasn't all that hungry after eating at Philippes earlier...

DINNER: Slow cooked flat iron beef, braised in Bordelaise sauce, with whole grain rice pilaf and vegetable medley, warm roll, salad...I wish I took a picture of this...the beef was absolutely fork tender and very scrumptious...I could've eaten twice the portion served, the steak was about 4" x 4" and at least 1 inch thick...Hagen Das ice cream for desert...

There was a mid afternoon wine & cheese tasting in the Pacific Parlor Car (for sleeper class passengers only) at $9.oo...

Wines available for purchase were local Summerland Estate Sauvignon Blanc, Rabbit Ridge Zin, J Lohr 7 Oaks Cab, Wente Riverbank Riesling Arroyo Seco.

Cheese tasting included Vella Dry Jack, Smoked Tillamook Chedder, Marco Polo Black Pepper Cheddar.

The wine and cheese selections are different for train #11 (southbound Coast Starlight)
post edited by BackRhodes - 2012/02/19 20:11:13

23 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1