The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

My Happy Mistake

SpicyCheese

• Total Posts: 30
My Happy Mistake Wed, 02/22/12 12:44 AM (permalink)
I normally post dismal failures on this forum.  In the past, the highlights included the ground-breaking revelations that if you cook green beans too long they burn, if you don't really measure bread recipes they don't work, and if you use heavily scented charcoal in a Brinkman smoker your food has a funny taste.  

I've always said I like being in the kitchen, I never claimed to be good at it.  

So, with this in mind I just had to make a new hot sauce I discovered at a Mexican restaurant in Monroe called Vera Cruz.  They had this green sauce that was creamy and hot.  Luscious!  The owner was cool enough to bring the lady who made it out of the kitchen to my table.  They sat down and she described how she made it and he translated.  Because I forgot to ask about ratios, I knew it was going to be trail and error.  I'm used to the error part by now, so I was cool with it.  

When I made the sauce, it was much milder than her's but it was still awesome for something else.  Originally, I was going to use it as a chicken salad or cole slaw dressing.  But the store had turkey breasts on sale, so I turned it into a fabulous turkey salad dressing that my friends are all in love with.  

I hope somebody else can copy the results for themselves because that would somehow validate my previous mistakes as "happy little experiments".  So here it goes:

3 large poblano peppers, seeds included, no stems.
3/4 of a pound of serrano chilis, seeds included, no stems.
1 medium white onion, chopped into larger pieces
6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup of Mexican mayonnais
1/2 cup of Mexican crema

1.  Fry the onions, garlic cloves and peppers in oil for 5-10 minutes so they are just starting to get soft.  
2.  put mayonnais and crema in food processor, then add all the fried ingredients.  
3.  process until creamy.
4.  put in fridge with a piece of plastic over the top to prevent a skin from forming.

I put this with turkey I poached and chopped finely, but I'm sure you could slather this on turkey or chicken slices.  It's faboo!  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com