Nessa's Portuguese BBQ, Long Branch, NJ

Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
2012/02/24 08:50:11 (permalink)

Nessa's Portuguese BBQ, Long Branch, NJ

Or any Portuguese BBQ.  Definitely an under reported ethnic cuisine.  I have had great meals at several places on Long Island, but Nessa's is more roadfoodish as opposed to fine dining.

Nessa's BBQ is just a small storefront in a small strip mall.  When you enter, the complete kitchen, including the BBQ pit are on display.  Stainless steel and spotless.

The menu is small, but several locals were eating there, and the owner was preparing specials meals at their request.  Two gentlemen seated behind me brought their own bottle of wine for lunch(my kind of guys).  They were served a chunk of catfish the probably weighed about 5 pounds.  Once plated, the fish received a sprinkle of sea salt, a hand full of chopped garlic and a drenching of extra virgin olive oil.  I wanted to join them so bad.(I wondered if the catfish was caught by them in the bay behind the restaurant)

But my meal was no slouch.  I went with half BBQ chicken served over a platter of beans, french fries and rice.  The chicken was seasoned to perfection and juicy throughout.  Best Portuguese BBQ chicken I ever had.  Even better.....8 bucks!  I have a project right across the street from Nessa's and hope to be eating there often.

In the early 1980's, I worked construction with a Portuguese crew for two years, and the only thing I learned was how to curse in Portuguese.

Not much info on the internets about Nessa's...

Nessas Portuguese BBQ - (732) 222-4227

425 Liberty St, Long Branch, NJ 07740

6 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1