The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

POD/food court

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
POD/food court Sun, 02/26/12 6:38 PM (permalink)
I have been vending fairs and festivals for a few years and roadside in the off season.I have read about the food courts/pods like in portlandia :) and was trying to get infomation and maybe a consultent about starting one in my area.I would go look at one and talk to the people who run it but there isn't any in my state.So I wondering if there is any help here.How do I start,How do I picth it to the city,etc.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7748
    Re:POD/food court Sun, 02/26/12 7:40 PM (permalink)
    Hi Daddy!

Are you close to Grand Forks?

If so you may want to strike up a conversation with these folks. They seem very friendly and they operate multiple days of the week in a fixed location.

www.skipsgourmetgrub.com/index.html

DWags541

• Total Posts: 174
      Re:POD/food court Sun, 02/26/12 9:01 PM (permalink)
      I live near PDX and have seen some shining examples of pods. I am not sure what is involved with your particular city/county regarding regulations, but I can give you a few observations of mine that in my opinion seem have the most potential for success.
      Of course, location is key. Also, you want to have a group of vendors that are consistent and professional.
      Infrastructure, while costly, is very useful for managing individuals in a pod. For example, having individual meters for each spot helps avoid any complicated energy shortage issues or cost splitting. A freshwater source and wastewater storage and disposal service can be communally covered, but nonetheless is an important part of sustaining a number of vendors in close proximity. Organizing some kind of marketing strategy could be useful for getting the word out about your new community of businesses. I don't think you have to have too many vendors to start strong. On the contrary, I would be careful that you were not so ambitious that you spread a finite amount of gross income over too many vendors. If you are creating something unique in your area, I am sure you will get lots of attention. You can always grow larger if determined sustainable.
      Aside from those observations, keep looking up pods in PDX, as there are many. Some doing it better than others. New ones popping up, some going down.

Good Luck!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com