Helpful ReplyAnother step van build here in the City Of Salt!

Author
mofood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 117
2012/03/03 23:05:26 (permalink)

Another step van build here in the City Of Salt!

Well, I waited to get a post count up with the intent of starting my very own thread. I'm going to host some pics and try to verbalize the content as I go. Bare with me, I've never posted a build thread before. I've documented this build for my own reference, and maybe it will benefit others who would like to start a business like this. I started with a reasonable business plan, a budget, did a lot of testing, and did a lot of research before I jumped into this project. I had a hard time finding any real "how to build a food truck" info until I found this website. Must say I'm glad Roadfood is on the www. I have a strong background in tinkering, and a little formal education in the tinkering trade. Blah, blah, blah...on with it!

Found a truck that would work for me in Seattle in early November. Booked a flight with a good bro, paid the man, and ended up with a 1996 International model 652, Utilimaster body, 113k miles,16 ft workspace (measures just under), T444E motor with Allison four speed delivering the power to the wheels. Nothing in the truck but plywood walls, Kinedyne load rails and load bar. Drove home via Portland because the passes outside of Seattle were sketchy with recent snowfall. Plus, I have a couple buddies Portlandia
Here's the truck just up the hill from Portland:

She ran good, and held the governed speed of 64 mph all the way home. Up hills, and on the flats. Always 64 mph... Here we are outside Portland.
This is the only inside pic I have of the bulkhead, and driver cockpit:

Bulkhead will be the first modification. You can't see in the pic that I have on noise cancelling headphones. These were a Godsend, as this truck was LOUD. An empty aluminum box with a rattling load bar, and sliding bulkhead door banging on it's tracks! If you're going to drive an empty step van 800+ miles, get yourself a set of noise cancelling headphones. The two of us could talk and listen to music with them on, and not hear each other at all with them off. Amazing
One night in Portland, and another 17 hours of driving later, I landed back home in SLC.
post edited by mofood - 2012/05/08 14:21:55
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1