"Circumnavigating Alabama"

Author
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
2012/03/04 15:52:13 (permalink)

"Circumnavigating Alabama"

Last weekend, I took a great solo tour, west out I-20 from Atlanta to Villa Rica, then found my way to US-278 and began a big loop around Alabama to try some barbecue and a few other places.  I took US-278 to Hamilton, then US-431 for a few hundred miles south, hooking up with I-65 a little north of Mobile, returned north to Brewton, then US-31 north back to I-65 at Greenville near Montgomery, then US-231 through Sylacauga and Talladega and picked up I-20 again to go home.  These were two great days.

I'm writing it all up for Marie, Let's Eat - part 2 of 7 was posted this morning, but for posterity, these are the places that I visited:

Pig-N-Out Bar-B-Q, Hokes Bluff
Johnny's Bar-B-Q, Cullman
a Jack's fast food place, Double Springs
Buttahachee Bar-B-Que, Hamilton
Plaza BBQ, Guin
Hicks BBQ, Northport
a Taco Casa, Tuscaloosa
Thomas Rib Shack, Tuscaloosa
Smokin' Jack's BBQ, Demopolis
Webb's Cafe, Calvert
Brick Pit, Mobile
George's Old Time BBQ, Brewton
Real Pit, Greenville
Chris' Famous Hotdogs, Montgomery
Hog Rock BBQ, Wetumpka
Miller's BBQ, Talladega

...and in part seven of the blog report, I'll be listing something like seventeen other BBQ restaurants that I drove past but wasn't able to stop.  Rural Alabama is criminally underrepresented on this site.

The best meal of them all, by some measure, on the other hand was Brick Pit, which does have a page here on Roadfood.  Good gravy, that was amazing.  I think the only plate of barbecue that I've ever had that I enjoyed more came from Old Clinton in Gray.

Marie and I will be back in AL this Saturday.  We're taking the long way home from Nashville in order to stop by three or four places around Huntsville, where I haven't been since I was about eleven, and then, the school field trip to the rocket center didn't include barbecue on the itinerary!

http://marieletseat.blogspot.com

5 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1