Hot!Concession Trailer Build with intro

Author
kingofcreams
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
2012/03/13 14:02:42 (permalink)

Concession Trailer Build with intro

I have been lurking around the boards for a couple months getting ideas and seeing what others are building and how they are doing it so I'm starting this thread to hopefully help give back to anyone who may find anything I post somewhat helpfull in their future or current project or endeavors. Thanks to all those that contribute to these boards because the info shared really is invaluable!!
I started running an ice cream truck up here in northern Minnesota in 2008. There hadn't been an ice cream truck around this area prior for at least 10 years from what I was told by the city clerks office. Once I got started I mainly did routes and then started getting into festivals, arts/craft shows etc etc.  on the weekends. Well working full time as a mechanical maintenance supervisor for 8 hours a day then coming home only to climb into the ice cream truck to run a route until dark everyday then on the weekends working at an event for 12 hours each day and having family responsibilities started to catch up to me so last year I didn't run any routes at all and just did the weekend (some four days long) events. At the end of the event selling season last year It started weighing on me that I should expand somehow and so I started contemplating buying a used concession trailer to replace the ice cream truck at events. This addition would be so much easier too since I was driving the ICT on a 20 foot flat bed trailer, strapping it down then making the journey to the event then unloading, unstrapping once I got there only to do it all again at the end. Another benefit of a trailer was that the ICT would be kept in town and I could hire a driver to do the routes. After looking at crappy trailers that cost too much and I would have to modify anyway to be able to serve hand dipped ice cream I decided to build my own.  I purchased a brand new 16 x 7 foot cargo trailer for $3400 back in November of 2011 and have been chipping away at it since.

So far I have insulated the walls, installed my electric wiring behing the plywood walls, installed FRP on the walls, installed black white commercial VCT tiles on the floor, installed 30 amp service panel and GFCI outlets (5) with one outside, put in the serving window, installed the vent hood with stainless steel underneath. ( still need to install the fan and run my stack through the ceiling), I built a cabinet for the counter top that my sinks were going to be dropped into, then had to tear half of it apart because of a little glitch in my floor plan then rebuild it, installed stainless steel on top, installed my hot water heater and fresh water tank, plumbing to take place today hopefully. I also have purchased a new 24 inch LP griddle, a new LP deep fryer, a new 27 cu ft flip top door ice cream dipping freezer and a used 67 inch refrigerated pizza prep table to be used as a sandwich prep etc.
All this was done after weeks of sitting in the trailer after I bought it with graph paper and drawing floor plans over and over and over again. Figuring out what I wanted vs what I needed vs what I could afford. It has been a slow process but you don't want to rush this stuff and when I start projects it take me a long time cause it has to be just right.
I have a bunch of pics to share but I know I won't be able till my post count is up so In the mean time I will try to set of a flickr account.
Some details about the build that I've seen come up in other threads:
I am using a 12 volt fan to pull the air for my vent hood
my vent hood is a captive aire low proximity hood that only requires 500 cfm and installs via a built in top flange into the wall studs
my hot water heater is a rv type water heater that runs off of propane

Ok, I think thats long enough for now.

Courtland

135 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1