The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

First/Last Concert You Attended?

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 321
First/Last Concert You Attended? Fri, 03/16/12 11:23 AM (permalink)
A conversation with my brother this week touched on some of the many concerts we had attended together growing up in Washington, DC.  Our first forays together were in the mid to late 60s when I was still a young (but extremely large) teen getting into clubs on my brother’s old license & draft card – we would head to dives like Benny’s Rebel Room (14th Street, NW) the Rocket Room (NY Ave, NW) and the 1023 Club (Wahler Place, SE) to see DC’s guitar heroes like Roy Buchanan, Nils Lofgren and Link Wray play. 

It wasn’t until July 4, 1972, that I saw my first stadium show when the Rolling Stones came to RFK – my mother saw us on the local newscast being frisked as we came through the gate and was convinced that we had been arrested!  Stevie Wonder was the opening act.  This was the first tour after Sticky Fingers came out in 1971 and Exile on Main Street in 1972, some of their best work, IMO.  Great concert.

The last concert we went to was last summer when we saw Steely Dan at Merriweather Post Pavilion.  Although Donald Fagen and Walter Becker have aged some, they still rocked out on a very hot and humid night and put on a great show that left us aging hipsters dancing in the aisles.  But we didn’t care about our beer-bellies and sagging body parts, for that night, we were all teenagers again.  Good times.  Anyone else have any memories they’d care to share?
<message edited by Treetop Tom on Tue, 11/27/12 9:14 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com