Maer's BBQ, off the square in Wilkes-Barre PA

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2012/03/16 14:03:53 (permalink)

Maer's BBQ, off the square in Wilkes-Barre PA

Eh.
There are a couple good reviews on Yelp, and we really need a good BBQ restaurant here in NE PA. This is OK enough, I mean, you really can't screw it up too bad.  But it's not the restaurant we need.

I tried a little bit of everything, both with and without the sauce. Without the sauce, everything is pretty bland. I hate to say it, in this day of "salt is bad", but everything needs salt. Meat is fine, but it's the seasoning that makes a joint distinctive, and this was not distinctive. The sauce, on the other hand, is pretty damn good. But you shouldn't need sauce to save the dish. Everything was a little smoky, but not a lot.

The ribs are St Louis style, and they fell off the bone and were almost like jelly.
Brisket was OK, but bland. It was nice and thin sliced, though. The sauce picked it up.
Pulled pork was bland, but pretty lively with the sauce on it.
Brisket chili was good after I salted it.

Mac & cheese was bland. Sat and pepper didn't help, it was a little watery.
Beans were limas, and were OK, but could have been sweeter. Adding sauce helped.
Cornbread came as small muffins, and was pretty decent.

No liquor license, BYOB.

I wish it were better. I took pictures, but don't feel like posting them after having eaten. I'm too disappointed. I really wanted to write a rave. And hey; it's barbeque, for heaven's sake, it's not like it's BAD. But I know how good it can be, and this isn't even close.

3 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1