The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Getting my p30 press project on the road

Nashopolis

• Total Posts: 5
Getting my p30 press project on the road Sat, 03/17/12 3:32 AM (permalink)
Hello all

I am very excited that I rediscovered this forum!

By way of introduction - i run a letterpress in Nashville - I love stepvans and custom built projects and the idea of rolling creations....
So .....
I am embarking on converting a 1978 p30 stepvan into rolling printshop!
A little different than the food trucks in final use but it seems the buildout of the truck will have many similarities.

Right now I have a rough plan and the will to move forward! This has been a dream of mine for years. I have many questions before the sparks start flying.

I have been stymied for awhile on how to attach my interior walls to the exterior skin of the truck. Much like backyard burgers van my truck has nothing but smooth 1/8 aluminum walls.

My ordinal plan was to run 3/4 plywood strips on the walls for studs and attach 1/2 plywood over that. I'd go with thicker walls but my press will just barely fit as is and the is no room for anything more. I am planning to bolt the studs on through the exterior skin and I'll seal the holes with a marine/ rv grade sealant. Not excited about drilling adding holes but seems like it has to happen.

Looking around I see some folks using aluminum tubing and welding inside. I like it but i don't have access to a welder not to mention the extra cost.

I could always bolt in aluminum I suppose - I'm just less familiar with working metal than wood. Is this a totally better plan than wood and if so why?

Also hoping to add a window. Do these trucks need extra bracing to compensate for the hole? I'm also looking for ideas on how to fab an awning window and sliding glass inside.
I'll keep searching but if anyone has thoughts please feel free to chime in. For whatever reason figuring out c- channel and j channel has me a bit confused - I know I can do it once I understand the components and where to source them

Other to do items for later
C. Lighting/ electrical
D. Add generator - possibly building a box for it under the truck
E. Adding a roof rack platform to shade the truck and give me a cool place to camp in the summer when on the road.
F. Cab area build out

Thanks to all who have taken the time to post info - I have some experience building but this will be a lot of new territory for me. Sourcing parts etc.

Best
Bryce
Isle of printing
Nashville, TN

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
    Re:Getting my p30 press project on the road Sat, 03/17/12 4:09 AM (permalink)
    I guess my first question is why would you want to have a rolling printshop business? Not that they don't exist, but I've never seen one I don't think???

Nashopolis

Re:Getting my p30 press project on the road Sat, 03/17/12 10:34 AM (permalink)
      Foodbme

I guess my first question is why would you want to have a rolling printshop business? Not that they don't exist, but I've never seen one I don't think???

There are a bunch of reasons I'd like to do it - see the first part of my post for a few - but honestly I think it is for the same reason anyone puts a stationary activity Into a mobile format.

I've spent alot of time cloistered away from the world in my shop. I want to go see the world but I want to share my passion for printing at the same time!

Bistro a go-go

• Total Posts: 171
        Re:Getting my p30 press project on the road Sat, 03/17/12 12:55 PM (permalink)
        can you make the screen patterns on the fly? seems like that part is the hard part and needs a lot of room. i may be wrong.

the old saying was, if you wanna see the world, join the army or the carnival. now maybe its  'get a step van'. the guys on storage wars are going all over the country, right?
        <message edited by Bistro a go-go on Sun, 03/18/12 10:07 AM>

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2016
          Re:Getting my p30 press project on the road Sat, 03/17/12 8:26 PM (permalink)
          Nashopolis

Hello all

I have been stymied for awhile on how to attach my interior walls to the exterior skin of the truck. Much like backyard burgers van my truck has nothing but smooth 1/8 aluminum walls.

My ordinal plan was to run 3/4 plywood strips on the walls for studs and attach 1/2 plywood over that. I'd go with thicker walls but my press will just barely fit as is and the is no room for anything more. I am planning to bolt the studs on through the exterior skin and I'll seal the holes with a marine/ rv grade sealant. Not excited about drilling adding holes but seems like it has to happen.

There has to be some sort of frame or stiffener to support the outer skin.   Flat sheets want work otherwise.

Nashopolis

Re:Getting my p30 press project on the road Thu, 03/22/12 2:23 AM (permalink)
            yep this is a letterpress so we don't burn screen - we hand carve blocks and set woodtype !

So where do I find the makings for service windows and generator doors/ exterior hatches?
            do these things come from RV places or speciality shops.  I could probably fab a door if I knew how they went together generally or where you might find the latches and what not.  Any ideas out there? 

Augusto

• Total Posts: 15
              Re:Getting my p30 press project on the road Fri, 03/23/12 11:49 AM (permalink)
              Boa tarde pessoal!
              Gostaria de saber onde encontro projetos prontos  para que eu possa modifica-lo.
              Grado

Augusto

• Total Posts: 15
                Re:Getting my p30 press project on the road Fri, 03/23/12 11:50 AM (permalink)
                Good afternoon everyone!
                Where would you like saber ready Encounter Projects pair that I CAN change it.
                Grado

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com