The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Rootbeer Stand In Corbin Kentucky Opens For The Season

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
The Rootbeer Stand In Corbin Kentucky Opens For The Season Thu, 03/22/12 12:34 PM (permalink)
My mom's always trying to coax me back home to Corbin, Kentucky.

She called, breathless last night to inform me that one of my favorite restaurants on earth has opened for the season. Here's an old report I penned on this venerable burger drive in:

After a brief tumultuous relationship with A&W Corp. The Rootbeer Stand has returned to its' indie roots and not coincidentally,its' former glory.Set on the side of 18th St. for the last 50 or so years this is a classic,Southern drive-in with curb service and prices that beggar the imagination[$1.60 hamburgers].They're legendary for the foot long hotdogs but I've always gotten the same thing;Hamburger,Fries and Rootbeer[$4.20]the hamburger is the kind of loose,misshaped patty your grandma made you in a cast iron skillet, the fries are the crinkle cut variety, invariably perfectly cooked and served in a yeoman portion, the Rootbeer is draught and comes in a frosted pint glass with a handle.

Atmosphere,as you might imagine is stellar.Go at a sunset and watch the sun disappear behind the nearby Appalachians,the long yellow bulbs will click on as the lightning bugs begin blinking on the lawn of the nearby high school.

Carloads of good,country folk start pouring in and feeding well and cheaply on the gravel parking lot.In a world of Sonics this little joint has some serious Chow magic.

129 18th St
Corbin, KY 40701
(606) 528-4163
<message edited by scrumptiouschef on Thu, 03/22/12 12:36 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com