Cabbage Soup

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2012/04/13 06:06:24 (permalink)

Cabbage Soup

I grew up with my grandparents. Soup was a primary daily staple and my grandmother used to make two types of "Kapusta". There was the traditonal sour kraut, dried mushrooms, potatoes, hambone soup made from the remainder of the roasted ham for lunch pumpernickle, and then there was the soup made from fresh cabbage. This stuff was a fumigant in reality, but it was something both my grandfather and my dad really enjoyed and probably was the primary reason that we never had problems with insects or ternrnites. Decades after my grandparants passed, my dad still wanted that soup. There was no recipe really, just a large head of cabbage cored and sliced in chunks, a can of tomato soup, leftover chicken soup or tomato juice, over a tablespoon of pepper, around a teaspoon of salt, several shakes of a bottle of catsup and some lemon juice. I pretty much made the soup for my dad the same way, but with the hints from a Jewish deli added a whole chopped onion and  used sour salt (citric acid)  in place of the lemon juice with a dose of MSG, and added a roased chicken base to the stock. My kids wouldn't touch it, but  my dad devoured that soup. He's  85 now and still expects that soup every so often. I'm wondering if any of you have any variations of a similar cabbage soup.  

20 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1