A Couple Trips to Seattle and Why Roadfood .com Is Still Important To Me

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
2012/04/21 22:15:13 (permalink)

A Couple Trips to Seattle and Why Roadfood .com Is Still Important To Me

I have not been traveling as much due to my health and the economy.But i was able to make a trip to Seattle last fall for a day and last weekend for a day and a half. In both cases roadffood.com made the trip more enjoyable and pleasurable than it would have been otherwise.
          Last fall son Sam and I made our annual trip to see the Seattle Mariners  play a game. He had spent the summer passing a geometry course so our trip was in late September. We were fortunate to see the M's best pitcher Felix Hernandez pitch and to see the American League's best team. the Texas Rangers play. Unfortunately the game was a microcosm of the Mariner season.
     We sat in the King's Court, a section of the stands where the fans of king Felix sit. You wear your free yellow t-shirt, carry a yellow K card for strikeouts and are obligated to stand up and yell as loud as you can whenever king felix gets two strikes on a hitter. And he pitched well ,striking out 7 and giving up three runs in 8 innings. Unfortunately former Mariner Adrian Beltre hit a two-run homer and all-star outfielder Joey hamilton climbed the left field fence and took a two run homer from Mariner Mike Carp. So another fine pitching performance by Felix was wasted and the M's lost 3-0. It had been a miserable day, almost all rain and gray skies so the roof had been up at Safeco field. The drive back was equally dismal, a dark, black sky the whole 3 hrs from Seattle to Portland.
        But Roadfood bailed us out. A post from Bruce Bilmes had informed us that the road food reviewed Ezell's chicken had opened a branch in Kent, a Seattle suburb south of Seattle. We stopped for lunch there and were able to feast on some most excellent fried chicken. After the game we crossed Lake Washington's floating bridge and took a brief journey to Kirkland for a stop at Spud fish and chips, a road food reviewed place that my good friend Wandering Jew has raved about for years. Spud is a small fish and chips place on the shore of Lake Washington in the Juanita section of Kirkland. There was a small park across from the place where a small group of folks were parasailing, providing colorful and interesting entertainment during dinner. The halibut fish and chips were huge and not greasy, probably the best fish and chips i've ever had. Son Sam, a fish and chips expert pronounced them the best he'd ever had. Thank you road food for letting me know about these wonderful spots in the burbs that i most likely would not have found on my own.
         Last week, we had a return trip to the Seattle area. A friend of Sam's who has been in the army in Afghanistan for the last two years ,returned home and we took him and Sam to Seattle to see the Mariners play the Oakland Athletics. Trudy went with me to the Seattle Art Museum to see the only North American stop of a Gauguin exhibition. We dropped the boys off near the Pike Street Market and spent our afternoon with Gauguin and south sea art. It was a very interesting exhibition with a lot of Gauguin works present but even more art from the islands, including war clubs, wooden boxes and various  statues of  native religious figures. The interpretive emphasis was on how the natives influenced the artist and understanding how Gauguin's lack of knowledge about the culture led to misinterpretation of native feelings and emotions. The art was first  rate and you easily see how Gauguin's classical art training was so omnipresent in his works on the islanders(the classical art triangular  composition infused many of his paintings here.)The colors and vibrancy of his art are so different in person. The native are was also quite fascinating(including some features on the tattoo arts of the south pacific). I'm a little sad this will be the only North American stop for the exhibit.
     After dropping Trudy off at our hotel, I met the boys at the ballpark. Sam had splurged for expensive seats and miracle of miracles, Sam got a baseball which he generously gave to his friend. The food at the game was almost road food worthy. Ivar's has a stand at the stadium and I had a salmon caesar salad that was excellent. Sam had two orders of garlic fries from the Kidd Valley stand. new Mariner acquisition Jesus Montero hit a 425 foot home run and drove in 2 more runs with a double, Hector Noesi pitched 8 innings of shutout ball and the M's won 4-0. Sam's friend was so happy with the ball and i was happy to honor his service with this most American of pastimes.
      The boys slept in the next day while trudy and i went to the Seatac location of the road food reviewed 13 Coins restaurant. I would not have known about this location except for buffet buster's trip report so i was grateful that Trudy and i were able to breakfast at such a great place close to our hotel. The hash browns were otherworldly and the eggs benedict as good as I have ever had.I am always delighted when road food places make a trip a little more special.
     The trip home was uneventful though we did stop for cheeseburgers at the Burgerville in Woodland, Washington, a road food reviewed mini-chain that i like better than the more well known Five Guys and In N Out
post edited by mr chips - 2012/12/13 01:18:43

10 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1