Could HoJo's Come Back? (Should It)

Author
michaelcarraher
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
2012/04/25 12:33:00 (permalink)

Could HoJo's Come Back? (Should It)

This week's episode of Mad Men got me thinking about Howard Johnson's. Grilled "frankforts." Beans in a pot with brown bread.  French fried clams.  Orange freeze with a scoop of lime sherbert.  28 flavors. 

According to HoJoLand.com, there are only three locations left.  But HoJoLand.com is saying maybe if Gino's can come back, then HoJo's can (will), too.  Toward the end they were terrible.  Dingy.  Greasy.  Over-priced.  Rip-off joints.  They deserved to go out of business.  As fewer people went there, they made up for it by raising prices.  So even fewer went and they raised prices so more.  But before all that, it started as Roadfood. 

I'd like to see a re-born HoJo's bring back the New England shore dishes that were the core of its appeal and add classic Roadfood items from across the country.  Not the same stuff dozens of other mid-priced chains offer. 

Even more than Lum's, I find I miss HoJo's.  And on a car trip, those baked beans in a pot could be even more potent than Mel Brooks' beans in Blazing Saddles.

25 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1