The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Today is National Prime Rib Day!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
Today is National Prime Rib Day! Fri, 04/27/12 8:25 PM (permalink)
Today is National Prime Rib Day. Prime rib is, speaking strictly, the three rearmost ribs from the primal rib roast. However, most restaurants and butchers consider all seven ribs in the standard rib roast as being prime rib. The ones in the back have a bigger "eye" in the center and smaller islands of lean around the perimeter of fat. It's the same cut used for ribeye steaks, but before the bone is removed.

The big difference between prime rib and ribeye is the cooking method. Most prime rib roasts are roasted whole for hours at low temperatures--300 degrees, give or take. That's what gives prime rib its soft, juicy texture, so different from the firmer texture of the same cut if meat grilled one steak at a time. Prime rib is usually not carved until serving time.

One more confusion: the word "prime" in the expression "prime rib" is not the same as in "USDA Prime grade" for beef. A prime rib can be choice or worse grade. USDA Prime prime rib is rarely seen; the amount of fat in it is fantastic, but fans of the cut love it for that.
Prime rib was much more popular in the 1960s and 1970s than it is now. Back then, restaurant chains all over America specialized in it.
Courtesy of Tom Fitzmorris -  www.nomenu.com
_________________________________________________________________________________
Where have you had the Best Prime Rib?
What's your best recipe?
What's your secret cooking technique?
Tell us about your First Prime Rib Experience!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
    Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Sun, 05/13/12 3:26 PM (permalink)
    I can't let Prime RIb fall off the grid without celebrating. Since it' feels like 125 degrees here today and Mother's Day I will celebrate with a reasonable portion for lunch during the week...answer the pop quiz questions and feel less guilty.

Here's a nice article until the weather becomes cooler...

http://mobile.seriouseats...e-rib-beef-steaks.html

Foodbme

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Sun, 05/13/12 3:47 PM (permalink)
      CCinNJ

I can't let Prime RIb fall off the grid without celebrating. Since it' feels like 125 degrees here today and Mother's Day I will celebrate with a reasonable portion for lunch during the week...answer the pop quiz questions and feel less guilty.
      Here's a nice article until the weather becomes cooler...
      http://mobile.seriouseats...e-rib-beef-steaks.html

Excellent Article!
      Realizing you're in Bayonne, do you have access to a lidded Grill/Smoker? If so, a prime rib done with indirect heat and smoke cooked outdoors is a real treat and doesn't heat up the house!

CCinNJ

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Sun, 05/13/12 4:19 PM (permalink)
        That can only be done in the fall or winter when people mistake it for the fireplace. Or you have to make enough for the entire fire dept. when they arrive after 911 panic calls that something is on fire!

Everyone would be nervous thinking I forgot about the hot dogs.
        <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 05/13/12 4:31 PM>

Foodbme

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Sun, 05/13/12 4:29 PM (permalink)
          CCinNJ

That can only be done in the fall or winter when people mistake it for the fireplace. Or you have to make enough for the entire fire dept. when they arrive after 911 panic calls that something is on fire!

That's why I said "Realizing you live in Bayonne". I figured there would be some restrictions as well as space limitations. I used to live in Sparta, (Lake Mohawk) and work in N. Bergen and know how "Tight" everything is there in that area. The Air Pollution Police would be on you like white on rice!

CCinNJ

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Sun, 05/13/12 8:36 PM (permalink)
            That was a long daily commute...by NJ standards.

I will be having the Prime Rib at The Coach House in North Bergen.
            <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 05/13/12 8:40 PM>

seafarer john

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Mon, 05/14/12 10:33 AM (permalink)
              Innocent of the fact till now that this is prime rib week, I bought a 4 rib , 8-1/2 lb. roast for Sunday dinner with the whole family. We cooked it the old fashioned way - 425 for about 1/2 hour and 325 till 125 was reached. We did do something new for us - as the butcher  had trimmed to much fat off the roast, we draped a chunk of fatback over the roast while cooking - it worked out very well. the roast was tender, moist, rare and delicious.
              Cheers, John  

CCinNJ

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Mon, 05/14/12 3:12 PM (permalink)

Hooray I remember how to do it!!!!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                  Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Mon, 05/14/12 5:14 PM (permalink)
                  I love prime rib, but never knew what I learned here.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                    Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Mon, 05/14/12 5:33 PM (permalink)
                    Prime prime rib roasts. A tad pricy.

http://www.lobels.com/store/item.aspx?item=8

CCinNJ

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Tue, 05/15/12 10:02 AM (permalink)
                      That's only $.58 a day in the Prime Rib fund...for a 7 lb. bone-in dry-aged hunk.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                        Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Tue, 05/15/12 11:40 AM (permalink)
                         Until recently I actually didn't realize there were poor quality Prime Rib. A few months back we went to a local steakhouse for their Prime rib special. Now it was cooked properly as I wanted rare and the others ordered medium rare to medium but these pieces of meat apparently had a rough life. What wasn't pure fat was gristle and VERY chewy meat and I would say I got maybe 4 good bites out of the whole thing. Unfortunately everyone else at our table had the same problem.
                        I did remark to my wife after we left that I didn't know it was possible to get a tough prime rib but we found it.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Tue, 05/15/12 3:44 PM (permalink)
                          The best prime rib was at Lawry's in Chicago. Table side carving, and fabulous au jus, potatoes, etc.. Fun experience, although we were the youngest people there.....

CCinNJ

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Tue, 05/15/12 4:00 PM (permalink)
                            The spinning salad at Lawry's is more fun than an amusement park!

Foodbme

Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Tue, 05/15/12 5:00 PM (permalink)
                              ces1948

Until recently I actually didn't realize there were poor quality Prime Rib. A few months back we went to a local steakhouse for their Prime rib special. Now it was cooked properly as I wanted rare and the others ordered medium rare to medium but these pieces of meat apparently had a rough life. What wasn't pure fat was gristle and VERY chewy meat and I would say I got maybe 4 good bites out of the whole thing. Unfortunately everyone else at our table had the same problem.
                              I did remark to my wife after we left that I didn't know it was possible to get a tough prime rib but we found it.

From the original post above:
                              "One more confusion: the word "prime" in the expression "prime rib" is not the same as in "USDA Prime grade" for beef. A prime rib can be choice or worse grade. USDA Prime prime rib is rarely seen; the amount of fat in it is fantastic, but fans of the cut love it for that."

<message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 05/15/12 5:09 PM>

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                Re:Today is National Prime Rib Day! Tue, 05/15/12 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                Foodbme

Absolutely. That's why I posted.
                                ces1948

From the original post above:
                                "One more confusion: the word "prime" in the expression "prime rib" is not the same as in "USDA Prime grade" for beef. A prime rib can be choice or worse grade. USDA Prime prime rib is rarely seen; the amount of fat in it is fantastic, but fans of the cut love it for that."

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com