The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

3 Old Bitty`s

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
3 Old Bitty`s Mon, 04/30/12 5:16 PM (permalink)
True War Story: Just got home from an event in Texas. Serving Chicken on a stick. 3 old gray haired widowed ladies appoached my booth and ask what I had to offer. Showed them my chicken on a stick. How Much? Five Bucks I replied. The one who was probably the leader of the pack remarked that she could get a full meal for a lot less than that. Wanted to butt slap her! I wanted to tell her she might try a frito pie or order of nachos from the food vendor on my left, or a greasy hamburger or chili dog from the vendors on my right. Instead of complaining about the cost of the food, why not enjoy the festival as it is and experience the situation. Why not sit on the ground with a cup of ice cream, or a sno-kone, or God forbid a chicken on a stick and listen to the children play and reminish about old times. Nada........they`ll probably go to DQ, sit in the same old table that they sat in last week, like they did last week and the week before and so on,  and get some IQF chicken stripes with gravy made in Memphis, frozen fries from Idaho, a bisquit that was baked and frozen from Wyoming. And yes, will be happy they paid $3.99 for that privilage and what, they saved a buck!  What a tally wally weekend they had! All 3 probably went home and got in their 49 year old rockers and knitted the night away.
We`ve all experienced these types I know.
OK, I feel good now!

wheregreggeats.com

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Mon, 04/30/12 7:06 PM (permalink)
    ... except ... the table at DQ will be the same one they sat in YESTERDAY.
    Good war story.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
      Re:3 Old Bitty`s Mon, 04/30/12 7:34 PM (permalink)
      I think they are at Dunkin Donuts sitting near me right now!
      <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 04/30/12 7:35 PM>

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2249
        Re:3 Old Bitty`s Mon, 04/30/12 8:06 PM (permalink)
        Just think of how awful those old Bitty's are for trying to get through life on a fixed income. I wouldn't pay $5 bucks for a chicken on a stick either. It may have been nice if the young Stud gave them a senior discount, instead of kicking their as-es down the road.......................How would you have liked the vendor to treat your Mom and Grandma in this situation.......Would you have liked the vendor to treat them with respect and kindness, or call them Bitty's and kick them down the road........pnwc

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
          Re:3 Old Bitty`s Mon, 04/30/12 10:36 PM (permalink)
          Thanks pnwc. I couldn't have said it better myself. One note however. How do you know they were widows. Last I recall, we don't amputate fingers or require black-for-life. It's being a bit presumptious. And it's Silver, not gray. That's a mark of distinction that hopefully you too will one time wear proudly G-d willing along with some humility and respect for your elders.

"OK, I feel good now!"
          I sincerely hope you feel ashamed now.

CCinNJ

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Mon, 04/30/12 11:16 PM (permalink)
            As I read it he did not say a word to them. He is venting...which is better than saying a word. 

My sister calls me all the time "your Mother this your Mother that" (her Mother too) and never says a word to my Mother. I will listen to it every time rather than my Mother hear it from her.  
            <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 04/30/12 11:23 PM>

Tony Bad

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 12:09 AM (permalink)
              pnwchef

Just think of how awful those old Bitty's are for trying to get through life on a fixed income. I wouldn't pay $5 bucks for a chicken on a stick either. It may have been nice if the young Stud gave them a senior discount, instead of kicking their as-es down the road.......................How would you have liked the vendor to treat your Mom and Grandma in this situation.......Would you have liked the vendor to treat them with respect and kindness, or call them Bitty's and kick them down the road........pnwc

Respect is something earned, not automatically given simply because one isn't dead yet. Couldn't these old women have politely walked away and discussed the price among themselves instead of insulting someone trying hard to earn a living by judging the value of a meal they never tasted? 

wheregreggeats.com

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 10:40 AM (permalink)
                They seemed to have "earned" bitty status in the vendor's eye.
                I agree the individuals in question didn't need to make a show of it.

pnwchef

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 11:25 AM (permalink)
                  and ask what I had to offer. Showed them my chicken on a stick. How Much? Five Bucks I replied. The one who was probably the leader of the pack remarked that she could get a full meal for a lot less than that.

( Someone show me where these ladies were ranting and raving) they expressed their opinion. Why couldn't the vendor see these ladies may be on a fixed income and give them a break. This is just one more case of treating older people like ****. This wouldn't happen in Japan, they take care of their elder population, they don't throw them under the bus..............................IMHO, the vendor could have said, how about (3 chicken on a stick) for $10, maybe he could have helped them enjoy the day. It isn't necessary to make full price on every sale, how much do you all think this vendor has in one Chic on a Stick............$1........he still could have made $7 profit..........I have been in business for over 35 yrs, I have had many of "YOUR" so called Bitty's, after taking care of them they brought back their family....a little kindness goes along way.............pnwc

pnwchef

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 11:39 AM (permalink)
                    Tony Bad

pnwchef

Respect is something earned, not automatically given simply because one isn't dead yet. Couldn't these old women have politely walked away and discussed the price among themselves instead of insulting someone trying hard to earn a living by judging the value of a meal they never tasted? 

Tony, Customer Service doesn't come from the customer. You can't control the way the public acts, you can only control how you react back..............

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                      Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 11:50 AM (permalink)
                      And how many of you have had some one say (about hot dogs)... "For that price I can go to the grocery store and buy a whole package with some buns and feed the whole family"!... Don't say you haven't because I have read it right here! And why do you assume that the old "biddies" didn't have the money to pay for the food?  I noticed you folks didn't include the high fees Fried Tater was required to pay in order to set up at the festival.  I know what he will be pay this weekend! David got info on the festival. I'm gonna get me a funnel cake this weekend! I haven't had one since the last time we were in Helen GA. About  fall of 2007. Much too long. If you only eat one a year, they have no calories! And I gotta try the taters too.... after I take my nap!
                      <message edited by lornaschinske on Tue, 05/1/12 11:55 AM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                        Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 12:10 PM (permalink)
                        When I was in business I valued all customer input.  Soon after starting I learned that disregarding any customer input imperilled profit.  

FriedTater is free to offer whatever he pleases and is free to price it as he pleases.  The elderly ladies are free to purchase whatever they please. 

May God Bless America!

CCinNJ

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 4:43 PM (permalink)
                          I don't see where anyone was treated like ****. I see Tater say he wanted to say this or that. That's a human reaction...and this certainly should be the place to vent...feel better and move on. 

Can't get convicted for thoughts feelings or opinions. 

DawnT

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 9:46 PM (permalink)
                            FriedTater

True War Story: Just got home from an event in Texas. Serving Chicken on a stick. 3 old gray haired ...... ladies appoached my booth and ask what I had to offer. Showed them my chicken on a stick. How Much? Five Bucks I replied. ........ remarked that she could get a full meal for a lot less than that.

OK, this is the extent of the factual basis of the story with two ellipses. The entire rest of the story is pure conjucture on the part of FT. Had the one older lady not mentioned that she could buy an entire meal for less and the three walked away, there would be no basis for a rant and it would have been no different then any other customer declining after hearing the price. That's it, end of story.

I see no disrespect by the lady here. How many of us have listened to the pitch of a salesman for an unecessary item until he got to the end and mentioned the price? How may of us made an honest remark about the practicality of the goods and price to what we could afford afterwards?

I don't know what a chicken on a stick is. A small snack of chicken pieces? A complete meal? Whatever the case, apparently the woman didn't see the practicality of what FT was selling compared to the price of a whole meal. That's her reference. She didn't feel it was worth it to her considering what could afford and made an honest reply. Overhead, costs, fees are of no concern to a customer. The average person only considers the bottom line of worth to them. Some people go to an event or dining with a "what the heck" attitude. You're having a good time, can afford it, and price doesn't matter for the convenience or when you're splurging. Those that can't have to weigh every dollar against the value to them.  If the woman had said "no thank you", would have you been just as offended? She didn't insult you, rave as you did to us,  or made a scene. Had she done any of that, you'd be justified to be offended. All she did was make an objective statement that the cost of your "snack" was the equivilent to the cost of a meal to her.

It would have been no different if she had made a counter offer that she could only afford $3 and you had the choice to respectively decline OR try to educate her on your costs and overhead.

Regarding respect. Last time I recall, elders are to be respected in the strata of society. They've earned their respect collectively making this a world in which you've inherited, free to do business. They've also paid your future social security and medicare benefits that in all probability you're going to be able to draw on that the next generation won't.

CCinNJ

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Tue, 05/1/12 11:04 PM (permalink)
                              Who said they were TREATED poorly?

The general rule of treatment is different from the frustration one may feel based on the fact that the other person or persons is/are of a certain age. Some miserable or rude 50 year olds (25 years ago) may now be miserable rude 75 year olds (in general). People are individuals in this world and at the very least when you find a time to bite your tongue...it's ok to vent in general to others in general and be done with it. That way the next time it happens you bite your tongue again....come back and vent.  

I don't think all young people are clueless lazy idiots...but many people feel it is ok to generalize them into the same grouping.  

If someone voices their frustration and feels better I say that this fourm worked....and the "nice" old ladies are fine. 

Don't cry for them Argentina. They get to sit this dance out. 

I visit with the senior citizens at the local center...and they love that I do not feel the need to talk slow treat them like they were made out of glass...and I am fresh as ever and they laugh or turn off their hearing aids. 
                              <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 05/1/12 11:31 PM>

Tony Bad

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Wed, 05/2/12 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                pnwchef

Tony, Customer Service doesn't come from the customer. You can't control the way the public acts, you can only control how you react back..............

Right, like acting professionally by holding one's tongue despite the insult and then maybe venting to a group of fellow food industry people, which, as I read it, was exactly what happened. Not sure where there was any failure in customer service. It is almost as if we read two different stories. The one I read certainly didn't merit any scolding or admonishment to be ashamed. Sorry if I missed something, that just seemed harsh.

FriedTater

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Wed, 05/2/12 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                  Regarding respect. Last time I recall, elders are to be respected in the strata of society. They've earned their respect collectively making this a world in which you've inherited, free to do business. They've also paid your future social security and medicare benefits that in all probability you're going to be able to draw on that the next generation won't.

Regarding respect, they didn`t pay my social security and medicare benefits. I have. I`m over 65, proud to have a medicare card in my wallet. When Johnson sent my kind to a foreign nation to fight a war that couldn`t be won, I didn`t put my head between my ass and high tail it to Canada. I did what I was told and damn proud of it. I have a flag flying almost all the time, so don`t come on here telling me I inherited something, I feel like I did my little part to pass a future to others.
                                  My bad that I titled this post "3 old bitty`s". The one lady, the ring leader, did all the talking. So better I say "1 old bitty." I kindly told her what I had to offer, what it cost. After her remark, only the Lord Almighty and myself knows what I said under my breathe. I wanted to tell her how ugly she was, must of fallen into a ugly tree and hit every branch. Wanted to tell her go home and put some make-up on. But i kept my cool. Next year if He allows me to return to this event, I hope after 52 meals at their local DQ, she may be interested in my product. If not mine, someone elses. My rant was mostly about attending an event and enjoying it. She came to bitch. I guess at that moment, she hit a bad spot. I didn`t need her business, nor do I want it. I don`t need to undersell my product. I stand by my food products 100%. If you don`t like my products, bring it back. I ask one question, replacement or refund? Its that simply. I won`t argue with you. Wal-Mart philosiphy.
                                  I must say I have enjoyed everyones responses. Good or bad. Thank you.

Um.........I even feel better.

Tony Bad

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Wed, 05/2/12 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                    FriedTater

Um.........I even feel better.

Cheaper than therapy!  

"Chew Dat"

• Total Posts: 13
                                      Re:3 Old Bitty`s Wed, 05/2/12 10:20 AM (permalink)
                                      I mean are you trying to feed people or bleed people. You are talkin like .80 cents worth of chicken. Id bet it you sold them for 3 you would double sales easy, unless of course you just dont feel like fryin all that chicken and makin HAPPY money.

FriedTater

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Wed, 05/2/12 11:50 AM (permalink)
                                        Five bucks won`t bleed people. 80 cents, or a dollar in chicken, whatever, pal, you forgot something. Entry fees, propane, $4.00 gallon gas prices, motel rooms, wear and tear on vehicle and equipment, all which I incur. Why bring my food product price down to 3 dollars when I can sell at 5 dollars all day long? Thats HAPPY MONEY!

DawnT

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Wed, 05/2/12 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                          Wait a moment. Now that's absolutely an unfair statement to FT. I'm sure he knows his costs and overhead and his price is fair and in line with the other vendors. I  may disagree with his portryal of the ladies to us, but in no way shape or form can you hurl invectives at him for gouging. He's entitled to a fair profit. He's also entitled to vent his frustrations. My sole gripe is just the charactization inference.
                                          Vent yes. Absolutely. Malign no. 

"Chew Dat"

I mean are you trying to feed people or bleed people. You are talkin like .80 cents worth of chicken. Id bet it you sold them for 3 you would double sales easy, unless of course you just dont feel like fryin all that chicken and makin HAPPY money.

CCinNJ

Re:3 Old Bitty`s Thu, 05/3/12 11:52 PM (permalink)
                                            As far as offering a discount. Really? That's funny. 

Most people have been to festivals fairs carnivals etc. and  cotton candy might be selling for $3 or more & soda for $2 a pop easy .Time to adjust prices try to satisfy a woman who must have arrived and traveled through the festival without noting the prices. It is possible she made rude comments to some or every vendor. She does not like the price and made a negative statement. Ohhh wait.  You should  say let me offer you a discount just because. How about $4?  No. No no no no no. 

This woman is on my nerves now. 

Bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep. 

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1955
                                              Re:3 Old Bitty`s Fri, 05/4/12 12:14 AM (permalink)
                                              "Chew Dat"

How much money you got tied up into equipment so you can go make happy money?
                                              I have a $40k truck to pull that $60k trailer..........I have to sell a lot of cheese burgers to pay for that, entry fees, fuel, insurance, propane, food, labor, taxes, etc......I'm not giving my food away.
                                              A $4.75 burger on the street is $6-6.50 at an event.,,, hell, I've even charged $4 for .35 worth of lemonade at an event, you don't want to pay those prices, bring a bologna sandwich from home.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                                Re:3 Old Bitty`s Fri, 05/4/12 3:53 AM (permalink)
                                                I have a feeling your time in purgatory will be spent as a cook for all the Silver Foxes who will constantly, loudly complain about your lousy food as they pass through on their way to the big carnival in the sky!

roadkillgrill

• Total Posts: 174
                                                  Re:3 Old Bitty`s Sun, 05/6/12 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                                  This just tickles the fire outta me....
                                                  We all have huge investments. That's like saying my ___ is bigger than yours... (well I aint showing anyone mine, cause I dont give a __... We all have war stories. I never check out the prices of others, if you want my product, you will buy it. Have owned my business for 40 years. I have the right to charge what I want, just like '3 old bitties' have the right to buy from whom they want. So what's the Big D deal!!! 

I am a 2 time transplant patient, 1x with a heart attack, with 8-10 years left. So dont hand me your whining, or what YOU think is funny. Have you never heard of Temperament change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there is not enough Customer Service, or what I would rather say, "love and understanding" perhaps someone else should be working your front window!!! Because that is exactly what we do... I have a mouth, thanks to my medical history...and NOT AFRAID OF USING IT!! So I DO NOT work the service window at an event.  Now on the daily route, I do. and it has cost me dearly. Those that stuck with me know I have no control. NOW, that 1 of the 3 bitties, Can you tell me what her health problems were? Can you tell me what her children last said to her? Or what made her speak that way? Or is it just that we tend to feel better about ourselves to belittle and degrade older people. It's funny right? Makes for a good story... WRONG. Old leads to death, and there aint a funny thing about that. and yes I give food away at festivals!!!! If I see there is a need there. Cause guess what.. I aint gonna be able to take it with me, and my fam is straight.

I have a motto hanging up: I dont see black nor white, I dont see old nor young, I only see one thing... GREEN. (you dont smile for the customer, you're fired on the spot. no questions asked.) I can replace an employee quicker than a customer..

I thought this was supposed to be a "Restaurant Professionals Forum" page? Where is the thought provoking journalism and topics? Guess that's why Mobile Food News and Mobile Cuisine are taking over with the real issues and articles rather than turning into just another Facebook page concept. (now see why i dont work the front window) haha

Rubyshaveice

• Total Posts: 25
                                                    • Location: Santa Barbara, CA
                                                    Re:3 Old Bitty`s Sun, 05/6/12 4:39 PM (permalink)
                                                    Man, that's pretty harsh on the old gals. Cut old people some slack Jack!
                                                    Should split up one piece for a sample, win them over.

brickboo

• Total Posts: 330
                                                      Re:3 Old Bitty`s Sun, 08/19/12 5:44 PM (permalink)
                                                      FriedTater Can't PM you. Call  me about your question. (Boo) 970 260 5694 email brickboo2atyahoo.com

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com