Saguaros, Sonoran Surprises and other Desert Delights

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
2012/05/06 19:24:15 (permalink)

Saguaros, Sonoran Surprises and other Desert Delights

I've been back for a week and have finally found some time to post a trip report.

There will actually be two trip reports representing the two states I visited.  Unlike Buffetbuster's trip report there will be a dearth of pie.

Friday April 20

Leaving TF Green in Providence very early, I arrived in Phoenix at just after 10 AM their time- (thank you Arizona for not going with daylight savings time) Unfortunately the humongous lines that wrapped around the rental car vendors caused some delay. In all my years of traveling I've never seen anything quite like this anywhere.

It's been 6 years since I last visited Phoenix and was looking forward to visiting a couple of old favorites and exploring some new ones.

Speaking of new favorites, after finally picking up my rental I hadn't  hadn't had any sustenance in 10 hours (remember the three hour time difference)  so it was now time for lunch.

The Fry Bread House

Reviewed by Ayersian I arrived to a packed parking lot at the height of lunch hour. You review the menu at the counter and then relay your order. I decided to go with the "ultimate"  Taco which is stuffed with  a choice of red or green chili (I chose red) beef, lettuce, onions refried beans cheese and sour cream.

The fry bread itself was soft, warm and doughy but not overbearingly so. The filling itself was a pleasant reminder that I am truly back in the desert southwest. 

I subsequently checked into my motel - walking distance from Chase Field- and free parking to boot. Luckily it was only going to be 96 degrees today, so walking around was do-able. I didn't do much during the afternoon, however I did manage to check out Phoenix's downtown library- so I can print my baseball tickets off of stubhub.

I'm glad I didn't eat too much at lunch. I was returning to an old favorite for dinner. 

Tacos De Juarez.

Just over a mile walk from my motel. 

I admired the interesting murals on the restaurant's exterior.

Although the place could look "intimidating" from the outside. The inside is pretty cool

As I  entered the restaurant, who is there to  greet me? None other than Roadfood's own Foodbme
I sat down to some chips and salsa

red and green of course.

As Foodbme and I were getting acquainted, I perused the menu.

There were so many potentially great items on the menu , I  finally decided on a few a'la carte dishes.

I decided to go with a shredded beef hard taco, a lengua (tongue) soft taco,  gordita and refried beans. I wish I could recall what kind of gordita I had but my memory fails me, and it's not because it wasn't good because it was, in fact it's no surprise why Taco's De Juarez always ends up as a favorite in the local readers polls.

After dinner, Foodbme joined me for an evening at 

Chase Field

Home of the Arizona Diamondbacks. 

I was really looking forward to this game. On my last visit 6 years ago, it was 108 degrees, therefore the roof remained closed the entire game.

When we  arrived the roof was in fact closed and that's because the AC is running.

However about 10 minutes before the game begins, the roof begins to open up.

It actually takes less than 5 minutes for the roof to completely open.

The Diamondbacks were hosting the Braves this evening. Although the Diamondbacks were on a hot streak, it ended here. The Braves really know the Diamondbacks number and unfortunately it wasn't even an exciting game. 

However this guy did seem to make the game a little more exciting

(no this is not Foodbme)

Unfortunately the Diamondbacks fell to the Braves 9 - 1 . At least the game wasn't a complete wash out.

After the game I walked back to my motel and called it a night. I was exhausted and I had been up for almost 22 hours. 

Much more to come......

69 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1