"Refrigeration" off the grid

Author
DWags541
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
2012/05/09 14:23:14 (permalink)

"Refrigeration" off the grid

Hi,
I am designing my truck to work almost completely on 12v. There will be a small inverter for specific non-12v things.
I was leaning heavy towards just using removable coolers to store product in. Used in conjunction with re-freezable plastic ice blocks, I figure this would be a very economic way to keep my product as cold as it needs to be throughout the day of sales.

Since looking at some of the discussions about "plate freezers" on here, and thinking about the idea of re-freezable plastic ice blocks to another level, I have considered another option that I wanted to get some opinions on.

I was thinking if I have the space, to install a 7 cu chest freezer in the corner of the truck. When the truck is parked overnight, this freezer would be emptied except for the reusable ice blocks. It would be plugged along with my battery bank for recharging, in and the somewhat defrosted ice blocks would re-freeze. In the next morning, everything is unplugged and the chest freezer, along with included ice blocks acts as an insulated cooler.
I suppose on one hand, this is a glorified and more expensive insulated cooler. But I think I could set up the inside so that it is not only spacious and organized but efficient at keeping cool product on a daily basis. Maybe the most beneficial aspect of this is if I happen to do a 3 day event where there is energy, I can keep the freezer plugged in and use it to keep product frozen day after day.

It may not be a silver bullet arrangement, but it seems like it has promise and may have some benefits over an insulated cooler setup.

26 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1