I enjoyed Econ101 but got a "C"

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1965
2012/05/14 17:08:41 (permalink)

I enjoyed Econ101 but got a "C"

I took more economics classes but was never the star student. They have the math guys that think everything should fit a formula......quickly in micro and eventually in macro. I was more of a touchy-feely guy who thought that human emotion was as important as the math.

I have 3 food related examples that are, at least to me interesting.

Since WW II breeders have been putting more breast on chicken, and processors have been trying to figure out how to sell the leg meat. Now, since boneless thighs are on the market, they can't get enough dark meat.....taste changes. What I can't figure out is why they are afraid to raise the price of dark over white. If I put in a 5 case order for boneless thighs, I want 5 cases, not 3 because of a "shortage". I would think that supply and demand would set the price, but dealers are protecting relationships.

The wholesale price of pork has tanked. Nobody on the retail end is putting it on sale. Producers are pissed. They want to see market clearing retail prices.

Over Easter I saw cuts of lamb being sold at retail, below wholesale cost. Whole lamb (my specialty) brought very good prices, and I guy that I know had to bring in 3500 lambs from far away at high transport cost.

Interesting? Dull as watching paint dry? You decide.

9 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1